PDA

View Full Version : Drake Maverick Reflects On Achieving His Dream, Being One Of The “Fortunate Ones”

Kemo
07-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Current 24/7 Champion, Drake Maverick, has had a long career in professional wrestling. Before signing with WWE, Maverick wrestled extensively across the British independent circuit before working with Impact Wrestling.

He recently recounted his journey into WWE to Busted Open Radio. He reflected on chasing his dream, and admitted that he is one of the “fortunate ones” to turn pro wrestling into a full-time job.

“I really believed in this, and I believed in myself. […] If I ever got to WWE, I’d be just flabbergasted,” he admitted. “[…] But as you get older, and you work for places like the British independents, and you work for Impact, it becomes your livelihood, and then you respect the business so much more when every ticket and every seat counts. […] every time that you’re at the merchandise table and selling something and meeting fans…everything counts. That’s what really changed my mentality when I moved to the United States, when it became my full-time living.”

At one point, it seemed unlikely he would ever get to live his dream as a WWE Superstar. But then, after a few key signings, it appeared as though the tides had turned.

“It seemed like there was a thing where TNA talent weren’t really looked at by WWE,”” said Maverick. “But then Samoa Joe left the company and went to NXT, then Bobby Roode left the company and went to NXT, [then] Eric Young. And that’s when you’re like, ‘Okay, well maybe there might be an opportunity down the road.'”

He admits that he is “[…] one of the fortunate ones in the world because there aren’t many spots to earn a living in this industry full-time. Again, just blessed. Just blessed.”