PDA

View Full Version : Hulk Hogan Talks Vince Sr. Firing Him For Filming Rocky III

Kemo
07-30-2019, 05:27 PM
Hulk Hogan was a guest recently on Steve Austin’s podcast. The two talked about Hogan’s long career in the wrestling business including an interesting story regarding the time Vince McMahon Sr. fired Hogan for performing in the movie Rocky III.

“The mindset back then wasn’t like it is now,” Hogan responded when Austin asked him why he got fired from WWF for filming Rocky III. “That we want Stone Cold to do his TV show and we want Stone Cold to do Expendables and we want the Rock to do… Back then, 78-79, if you were a wrestler you didn’t do TV, you didn’t go do a movie, if you were a wrestler you were a wrestler.”

Hogan started performing as a heel in Vince Sr’s promotion in 1979. He would leave in 1980 due to the conflict over his filming of Rocky III. Afterward, he performed in Japan, and would also end up in the AWA by 1981.

Hogan’s popularity ended up exploding because of the film but Verne Gagne was hesitant to put the title on him because he didn’t have a legitimate wrestling background. As a result, Hogan ended up going back to New York, this time signing with Vince McMahon Jr. and kick-starting Hulkamania and the wrestling boom of the 1980s.

After WM18 if I could have had the chance to work with him people would still be talking about Austin/HollyWoodHogan today,we talked about what could have been and we both agreed we should have done it,Steve is a solid first class guy and I’m grateful for his friendship brotherHH

— Hulk Hogan (@HulkHogan) July 28, 2019

Hogan and Austin would continue to talk about how at first, Hogan didn’t believe he was being offered the part in Sylvester Stallone’s movie.

“Vince Sr. fired me for doing the movie because you weren’t supposed to do movies or TV shows back then,” Hogan continued. He then talked about going to Japan after and enjoying that as he had a girlfriend over there. Hogan ended up in Minneapolis working for Verne Gagne in the AWA shortly after as well.

Stallone has talked about Hogan’s portrayal of Thunderlips in the film as well. He said that Hogan put multiple guys in the hospital during production of the film. Stallone made the comments in an Instagram post:

"Another flashback and another reason why it's not such a great idea to always do your own stunts! I met Terry Bollea aka THUNDERLIPS aka HULK HOGAN In the very early 80s when I was directing Rocky III. AT 6feet 7 and 295 pounds with 24 inch biceps ! He was an amazing athlete! Incredibly powerful. I remember a violent move where he threw me into the corner , charged across the ring like an ENRAGED bull and leaped so amazingly high Above me,that his shinbone actually came down giant tree on my collarbone , and I tumbled to the floor. I was afraid to look at my shoulder for about 10 minutes … I said "don't roll me over , don't move me, " because I was sure there was bone protruding through my upper chest ! Of course there wasn't but I have never felt such a mind numbing pain from a massive hit before or since that day! HULK Just didn't know his own strength. Believe it or not when he jumped into the audience to fight with the stuntmen , three of them had to be treated at the hospital. Great guy, great friend, his presence made the Film very very special. HULK , if you're reading this, it was a privilege to be mangled by such a gentleman."

https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/38977508fb276dbc345117001127f1d8/5DDB1EFD/t51.2885-15/e35/17075976_1871871496361314_7703787095424237568_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com