PDA

View Full Version : Report on Box Office Numbers For 'Marine'

Dangerous Incorporated
10-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Report on Box Office Numbers For 'Marine'

In what seems to be in line with the movie industry's low-end expectations, The Marine took in an estimated $7 million at the box office on its opening weekend. The movie finished in 6th place for the weekend, just behind The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning - which took in $750,000 more dollars. The movie performed a bit better on Saturday in contrast to Friday. Nonetheless, the number is considered to be a disappointment for WWE. Also, it should be interesting to see how WWE spins the movie's lackluster performance on the company website and on RAW tomorrow because they probably will somehow.

On a per-theatre basis, the The Marine's opening weekend performed below See No Evil's opening weekend. The Marine averaged $2,750 per screen (2,545 total) whereas See No Evil averaged $3,644 (1,257 total) per screen.

As said before, the movie's opening intake has to be considered a disappointment for WWE. It appears as though that Cena drew nobody outside of his core wrestling fan base, and WWE was obviously hoping that he would. The movie is expected to take a sharp drop next week because most of his core fans have probably already seen the movie and the non-Cena/wrestling fans obviously aren't going to see it. You can compare this to how TNA DVDs often debut high on the Billboard charts due to its hardcore fanbase, but then drop off quickly within the ensuing weeks. Also, the movie cost $23 million to make, not including advertising costs, thus meaning that it will have to gross at least $45-50 million all together to simply break even. If The Marine's opening weekend is any indication, it looks like the film will be a huge money loser for World Wrestling Entertainment.

Sources: Yahoo! Movie News, Wrestling Observer, PWInsider.com

The Instant Classic
10-16-2006, 01:46 AM
yea i doubted that this would do as well as see no evil also i think that it was a little too advertised, i saw alot more commercials for the marine than see no evil. i havent seen it yet but i plan to. also on wwe.com it sates that the movie got rave reviews. so i'm thinkin that just because its cena in the film that no one is going to see it other than his wrestling fans.

Will
10-17-2006, 01:18 AM
also on wwe.com it sates that the movie got rave reviews. so i'm thinkin that just because its cena in the film that no one is going to see it other than his wrestling fans.

Do you really think that the WWE would say that the reviews for the movie were all negative? They are going to spin it into the best thing since sliced bread. Look for the real reviews online. No one is giving it rave reviews except the guys that write for WWE.