PDA

View Full Version : Pat McAfee Recalls His “Last Minute” Rush To Get To SmackDown

Kemo
11-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Pat McAfee ended up stepping into a commentary role last week following WWE’s travel issues following Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia. Several Superstars and WWE personnel were stranded after a mechanical issue with their plane. They would be grounded for hours, missing that Friday’s episode of SmackDown Live in Buffalo, New York.

McAfee recalled discovering his opportunity during his DAZN show, reflecting on the “last minute” nature of the situation.

“I get a text from Triple H. ‘You home?’ I had heard the news with what happened with their planes breaking down in Saudi Arabia and all of the talent, commentators, and producers being stuck in the Middle East due to a plane malfunction. I look at it and go, ‘Oh damn. Yes, I am home.’ I get a phone call immediately and he goes, ‘Hey, have you heard about what happened?’ ‘I absolutely have.’ He said, ‘I haven’t pitched this to Vince McMahon yet, but if you were to come in and do some commentary and do your thing, would you be up for it? Can you get to Buffalo?’ I said, ‘ABSOLUTELY!’ He said, ‘I’ll get back to you.'”

McAfee had no easy way to get to Buffalo and ended up pulling in a major favor to get him to New York on time. McAfee would contact Indianapolis Colts COO, Pete Ward. He explained the entire situation and his desperate need to get to New York.

“At this point, I did not know if it was 100% that [I would be calling SmackDown]. I go, ‘Is there any way (Colts owner) Jim Irsay would lend me a plane to get there?’ He calls me back and goes, ‘Jim says pack your bags, brother. You got a plane.’ I get a text from Hunter and he goes, ‘Let’s go.’

He continued, “I land an hour and 45 minutes before the show starts. Nobody there. Everybody is stuck in transit. I see [Triple H], he’s talking to Brock Lesnar. I go over to Brock, shake his [hand]. I go, ‘Nice to meet you, sir. You’re a legend.’ He goes, ‘You too.’ I talk to Mr. H and go, ‘What’s the plan?’ He goes, ‘We got a good one for you.'”

McAfee shared that he had the time of his life joining the SmackDown announce team that night. He admitted that both Vince and Stephanie McMahon were in his ear a few times, but noted that he thought he heard them laugh at least one, something he considers a success.