PDA

View Full Version : Sami Zayn Talks About Representation, Breaking Stereotypes

Kemo
11-29-2019, 08:51 PM
WWE Superstar Sami Zayn has recently been accompanying current Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura. Zayn acts as Nakamura’s hype man, often assisting the champion in his matches. In a recent interview with DC 101, Zayn spoke about the importance of representation in pro wrestling. He also noted how the modern product is doing good work in breaking stereotypes.

“For me personally, it’s one of the things I love about this generation,” Zayn said. “Shinsuke’s gimmick doesn’t revolve around him being Japanese. Like me, being Arab, I’m not coming out with a turban or acting the way the Iron Sheik acted. I’m a performer who happens to be Arabian.”

Zayn then pointed to Finn Balor and Mustafa Ali as other examples of Superstars breaking through without relying on antiquated stereotypes. He believes that this new mentality helps to root all of WWE’s Superstars and characters in a relatable reality, ultimately creating more compelling storylines.

“Finn Balor, he’s an Irishman and it’s not like he comes out with a box of lucky charms or waving an Irish flag talking with a funny accent to be Irish. It’s just a lot more rooted in reality of who we actually are and not playing this caricature or this stereotype of our background. So, I applaud Mustafa Ali for that for trying to break that. It’s something I have been interested in as well.”