PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Woods Recounts The Origins Of Francesca

Kemo
01-07-2020, 09:00 PM
During the most recent episode of The New Day’s podcast, Feel The Power, the three WWE Superstars reminisced on the creation of Xavier Woods’ beloved trombone, Francesca.

Francesca made her debut on the Monday Night RAW following SummerSlam 2015. Turns out that Woods had to learn how to play the trombone “by ear” on the night, having had no previous experience.

“So the next night, we were in Brooklyn is when we introduced “Francesca” because I remember we had the match, we were feeling good and so ‘Oh, maybe tomorrow night on RAW you guys do something with the song ‘New York, New York” and this is when we were starting to get like, ‘Okay, they’re kind of trusting us to do whatever, we’re asking for stuff and they’re kind just like letting it slide, but let’s see how far we can go.’”

He continued, “At this point in our career we were trying to see if we can get into trouble. And so I remember texting back, I was like, ‘Oh, instead of like singing it, can you get me trombone because I could like play it, just by ear?’ He’s like, ‘Yeah, sure well I’ll ask.’ And we were kind of joking about it like in the hotel or like wherever we were and then a few minutes later gets a text back., ‘Yeah, yeah. We can get a trombone.’ And all three of us were (gasp) ‘What?’ So we were like, ‘How do we use this trombone?’ And so I learned how to play ‘Da da da dada duh.’”

Woods then recalled how he was meant to return the trombone to a WWE props worker. At the moment, however, he decided to keep it and play it through the match. During a commercial break, one of the cameramen told him how Vince McMahon was “laughing his ass off” backstage and instructed him to keep playing. Upon getting to the back after the match, he remembered Vince laughing, telling them how they will “always have this trombone now. She’s part of the group!’”