PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Rhodes On Why He Asked For His Release From WWE

Kemo
04-30-2020, 03:22 PM
Dustin Rhodes was one of the first stars to leave WWE to join AEW and he paved the path for a number of stars to leave the company and reignite their passion for pro wrestling.

The former WWE star recently appeared on the AEW Unrestricted podcast, where he talked about things like his responsibilities in AEW, training young stars and more.

Talking about his final days with WWE, Dustin said that sitting at home and doing nothing made him lose his passion for wrestling for the first time in 31 years:

“When you’re sitting at home for a couple of months with another company who doesn’t value you at all, and you’re sitting there knowing you have so much more to offer. You kind of lose your passion, and for the first time in my 31 years, I lost my passion for the wrestling business,”

Explaining his decision to quit the company, the former Goldust said that he had enough. So for the first time, he stood up for himself in a big way and asked for his release:

“They just will not give me the time of day, and I had enough.” said Rhodes. ”I said enough was enough, and for the first time, I kind of stood up for myself in a big way and said, ‘I am quitting. I am asking you for my release. I am done. I’m not happy here anymore.'”

However, the company didn’t grant his request right away and they stalled the former Champion for a while before finally approving his release in March 2019.

A month later in April, it was announced that Dustin Rhodes will be facing his brother Cody Rhodes in a match at Double or Nothing. Since then he has signed a contract with the company to work with them as a performer as well as a coach.