PDA

View Full Version : Jake Atlas Says He Doesn’t Want To Be Known As “The Gay Wrestler”

Kemo
06-13-2020, 10:23 PM
25-year-old Jake Atlas trained with the Santino Bros out of Southern California. The highly-touted prospect recently took part in the NXT Interim Cruiserweight Championship tournament, sporting a 2-1 record and advancing to Group A’s tie-breaking triple threat. Atlas recently spoke to People.com about not wanting to be known as “the Gay Wrestler.”

“You’re not going to watch me because I’m gay. You’re going to watch me because I’m good,” Atlas said to People.

He also noted that Sonya Deville reached out to him and the two have grown closer since.

“Sonya Deville was one of the first superstars that reached out to me,” he said. “We have been able to get closer and understand each other. And like we’re both here, you know? I have your back; we have my back.”

Unfortunately, coming out was difficult for Atlas when he was a teenager. He spoke about his Mother’s reaction when he came out to her during the interview as well.

“I came out when I was 15,” Atlas said. “I didn’t tell a friend. I went straight to my mom. When I told her was the first time that I uttered the word ‘gay.’ I didn’t even say bisexual, because I knew I had been lying to myself. I was crying and I even said the words, ‘I know this is wrong, but I’m gay.’ ”

“I know that more than anything, she was crying out of disappointment. And she brought religion into it. It was a difficult moment,” he continued. Atlas would continue to say the two have had better conversation since, however.

cgEhrzk1UH0