PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Steamboat On “The Greatest Wrestling Matches Ever”

Kemo
06-16-2020, 04:17 PM
Edge and Randy Orton faced off in what was billed as “The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever” at Backlash on Sunday. One person who has been in several matches that many consider to be amongst the best of all-time recently took part in an interview on the subject. Ricky “the Dragon” Steamboat’s clashes with “Macho Man” Randy Savage and “Nature Boy” Ric Flair are often mentioned in the discussion of best matches of all-time.

During an interview with the Sporting News, Steamboat compared Edge vs Randy Orton to his WrestleMania III match against Savage.

“Edge being away for a while reminds me of the time back in December of 1986 when Randy Savage and I started our angle for WrestleMania 3. I had virtually a three-month layoff from an injury angle we ran so I didn’t wrestle at all,” Steamboat said.

“I can remember that my match with Savage at WM3 lasted less than 20 minutes. Understand this: I’ve routinely gone an hour wrestling Ric Flair, Harley Race and Blackjack Mulligan. But after the Savage match, I collapsed in the locker room because I was so gassed out.”

Steamboat also discussed the differences working with Randy Savage and Ric Flair during the interview.

“Randy was the type of guy that would have everything lined up for a match from top to bottom. But with Flair, we wrestled maybe 30 matches to a one-hour draw and only had a few spots lined up.”

“Flair was a guy who 90 percent of your match was called on the fly while Savage was a guy who had 90 percent of it set in stone before the match began.”

Steamboat was also asked during the interview about wrestlers from today’s WWE roster he’d be interested in working with.

"Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns and AJ Styles. Seth Rollins was a guy who came to WWE with years of time in the indies but he listened and he just got it. Styles is a great mix of old and new school. Bray Wyatt has always been able to step up when asked to do something different. He’s very athletic for his size but it’s all about his creativity,” Steamboat said.

John
06-16-2020, 09:06 PM
“Edge being away for a while reminds me of the time back in December of 1986 when Randy Savage and I started our angle for WrestleMania 3."

Unbelievable.