PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Angle Reveals Ric Flair Urged Him To Sign With WWE Over WCW in 1998

Kemo
04-24-2021, 07:26 PM
Kurt Angle recently discussed a conversation he had with Ric Flair back in 1998. The Olympic Gold Medallist was apparently choosing between WCW and the then WWF for his pro wrestling debut.

Speaking on his Kurt Angle Show podcast, Angle revealed that he reached out to the Nature Boy for career guidance.

“Somebody called me and said ‘Hey, if you want advice, call Ric Flair.’ So, I called Ric Flair, we started talking about wrestling. I said ‘Would it be smart to go to WCW?’ He said, ‘Hell no. No way, you go to WWE, Vince will take care of you.”

Angle said that Flair was not finished delivering his blunt message. Flair told him flat out, “Don’t come to WCW, they’re going to bury you.”

Ric Flair was working for WCW at the time of this discussion, so Angle had to decide how to take this advice. “I thought, he either doesn’t want me to take his spot or he’s being honest — and I think he was being honest.”

Kurt Angle had originally been offered a deal by WWE following his win at the 1996 Olympic Games. He turned down the offer at the time, thinking that he would continue as an Olympian.

It was only a few years later that Angle decided to make the jump to pro wrestling, at which point the offer on the table from WWE was substantially lower. WCW may well have offered a deal to Angle with a better monetary guarantee, but clearly Kurt made the right choice.

Luckily, Kurt Angle and Ric Flair would cross paths several times long after WCW went out of business in 2001. They competed against each other in a WWE ring on multiple occasions and had some memorable interactions in TNA, now Impact Wrestling.

lPBz41R8OQM