PDA

View Full Version : Lanny Poffo Shares His Thoughts On Macho Man A&E Documentary

Kemo
05-17-2021, 09:19 PM
The recent A&E documentary on the life and career of “Macho Man” Randy Savage has drawn polarizing reactions. Some fans feel the episode focused too much on the negative aspects of Savage’s life.

Macho Man’s brother, Lanny Poffo, recently penned a column for Pro Wrestling Stories regarding his thoughts on the documentary.

“75% of the A&E Biography episode on Randy Savage was great, 20% was lousy, and 5% was horrible,” Poffo says. “The people responsible for the 5% are Stephanie Bellars (Gorgeous George, Frankenstein, whatever) and Bubba The Love Sponge.”

He also took aim at wrestlers making claims about Savage based on gossip or rumors.

“Wrestlers love to make profound observations that they have overheard,” Poffo writes. “Contrary to popular belief, my brother Randy Savage never locked Elizabeth in any closet in the dressing room.”

“Nobody would know if the door was locked or unlocked because nobody had the guts to open or try to close the door. And now that Randy has been gone over ten years, everybody seems to have the balls now, but they didn’t then.”

Poffo made a point of noting that Jerry Lawler was not in WWE at the same time as Savage and Elizabeth, and despite his comments in the documentary, would not have direct knowledge of certain things.

“Jerry Lawler, who spoke of my brother Randy’s marriage to Liz in the A&E Biography episode, wasn’t even in the WWE when Elizabeth was there.”

Poffo would continue to say, however, that his brother liked Lawler, considered him very smart, and a good worker.
Bubba The Love Sponge

Many fans were surprised to see Bubba the Love Sponge during the episode. Poffo was also confused as to why the radio host was interviewed.

“Bubba the Love Sponge — when was the last time a woman ever made love to him and meant it?” Poffo said. “It was in poor taste to even put him out there.”

“Roddy Piper and Stone Cold Steve Austin were glorified in these A&E episodes while Randy got vilified,” Poffo continued.

Poffo also said he does not believe Gorgeous George’s claims that Savage took ecstasy with her.

“In the episode, Stephanie said that she and Randy took ecstasy. I don’t believe my brother ever did any of the stuff she mentioned. Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t, but it was totally inappropriate for her to say those things.”

He also corrected George’s claim that Savage took steroids, noting that he used Human Growth Hormone during this time.

“No, it wasn’t steroids because that was illegal at the time. It was human growth hormones,” Poffo continued. “That’s how Randy got massively large for the movie Spider-Man.”

“I notice she keeps going to wrestling reunions and tries to sell merchandise of her and the Macho Man in photographs together. The people that buy them, I don’t think they’re buying them to see her,” Poffo continued to say about George.

Poffo was much more complimentary to Eric Bischoff in his article.

“Randy liked Eric Bischoff and his family. I never heard anything bad about Eric from Randy, although I’ve heard a lot of bad from other wrestlers about Eric.”

Bischoff has expressed regret for appearing in the documentary on Savage.

“I’m embarrassed that I was a part of that as well,” Bischoff said on his 83 Weeks Podcast. “So people understand and know, both me [and my wife] shot those segments while I was still working for WWE and both of us were still living in Stamford a year and a half ago. I’ve been involved in so many WWE projects, and I hope to continue to be involved.”

Poffo also cleared up the commonly held belief that Randy’s wife Lynn was an old high school sweetheart.

“This was false. Randy couldn’t have graduated high school in Downers Grove, Illinois, and have a sweetheart from a suburb of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Even the Macho Man can’t pull that off!”

The two actually met when Randy was playing minor league baseball and Lynn was at college. They would then rekindle their relationship later in life.

Poffo also lamented that numerous positive aspects regarding Randy’s life were left out of the documentary.

“How come they didn’t mention one thing about Randy’s activity with the Special Olympics, Make-a-Wish, Children’s Cancer, Jerry Lewis’s Telethon, March of Dimes, underprivileged children, and everything else he did? That’s not newsworthy? None of that matters? Do you want to just dig for the dirt?”