PDA

View Full Version : John Cena Apologizes To China For Calling Taiwan A Country

Kemo
05-25-2021, 08:06 PM
John Cena has apologized to China for calling Taiwan a country during a recent media interview to promote Fast and the Furious 9. The island is self-governed but China has claimed the territory despite this for over 70 years.

China pushes back on international messaging that involves Taiwan being referred to as an independent country and John Cena is the latest to experience this. Cena did an interview with local media in Taiwan and mentioned that it will be the first country to see the film.

“Taiwan is the first country that can watch F9,” Cena told the broadcaster in Mandarin.

Today, Cena took to China’s Weibo social media platform and delivered a message in Mandarin. He did not refer to Taiwan by name but spoke about having done a lot of interviews and having “made a mistake.”

“I’m sorry for my mistake,” Cena said. “I must say now, [it’s] very, very, very, very important [that] I love, and respect even more, China and the Chinese people.”

Here is his original quote: "Taiwan will be the first country to see Fast & Furious 9. This movie is really great—and it's huge," the WWE superstar said on May 8. "You'll be the first to see the film".

— Mythinformed MKE (@MythinformedMKE) May 25, 2021

Several airlines recently changed how they refer to Taiwan as a flight destination/route. This was in response to complaints by the Chinese government as well.

“Like other carriers, American (Airlines) is implementing changes to address China’s request. Air travel is global business, and we abide by the rules in countries where we operate,” American Airlines spokeswoman Shannon Gilson told CNN.

Per popular request, here's Mr. John Cena's apology video with English subtitles. I kept all the incoherence in the video, as well as the curious absence of what he's actually apologizing for

— Tony Lin ??? (@tony_zy) May 25, 2021

CNN translated several comments from viewers on the Weibo platform responding to Cena’s comments.

“Please say ‘Taiwan is part of China’ in Chinese, otherwise we will not accept,” one person wrote.

“I don’t understand why the Chinese people should be so tolerant to him, who has a vague political stance while profiting from Chinese people,” another wrote.