PDA

View Full Version : WWE & NJPW Reportedly In Negotiations For Major Partnership

Kemo
05-28-2021, 01:53 PM
:wwe5: :njpw:

WWE and New Japan Pro Wrestling are reportedly in negotiations for a major partnership. There is no indication of what the current status of these discussions is, however. According to a report from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE President Nick Khan has been negotiating with NJPW. The two companies are said to be working on a deal that would see WWE become NJPW’s exclusive American partner.

“In what could end up being among the biggest wrestling stories of the year, or a non-story, depending on the end result, Nick Khan has been in talks with New Japan Pro Wrestling about WWE being the exclusive American partner with the promotion,” Dave Meltzer wrote.

There have been several indications that something major in pro-wrestling has been brewing. WWE is said to possibly be loosening its stance on not working with other companies. Nick Khan appears to be the driving force behind this. NJPW has been sending talent to Impact Wrestling and AEW over the last few months.

“There are no indications where talks are at past they date back to late March or early April. But it would include WWE sending talent and WWE top stars being allowed to work in New Japan if talks go anywhere,” Meltzer continued.

Daniel Bryan recently made several comments regarding wanting to work with other wrestling companies and WWE at the same time. His recent free agency and teases it could be leading to something major may factor into this. Bryan’s free agency was discussed earlier this month on Wrestling Observer Radio.

“I will just say that if anyone tells you that they know, they are lying to you,” Meltzer said about Bryan’s situation.

“There’s some crazy things going on in wrestling, some really crazy things going on in wrestling but they haven’t happened yet. I’m sure one of them will be when he shows up somewhere, which could be WWE, could be somewhere else. That’s about it for now,” Meltzer continued.

Bryan also said in recent interviews that he feels WWE wrestlers would do well in WWE. He used Cesaro and Otis as examples.

“If all of a sudden you saw Cesaro in New Japan for example like people would be like, ‘oh my god, this guy is the greatest!’”

“I think you put Otis in New Japan and people would be like ‘Holy cow! This guy is amazing!’ Like Vader from the 90s type of vibe. People think of him as the worm guy but it’s just a different presentation.”

Bryan also hinted that he would like to see a talent-exchange between NJPW and WWE.

“I’ve brought it up to a lot of people and now is more than ever is a time when people are open to new ideas,” Bryan said during the interview. “I think I have made some headway whether any of it actually happens, who knows?”

“I also think it would just be good for WWE and just wrestling in general. For people that are in the developmental system right now, for them to be able to go and learn in other places. I wouldn’t be the performer I am today if I hadn’t wrestled in Japan and not just like Japan where it’s like sports stuff but also like Butlins in the UK where it’s all comedy.”

TKO
05-28-2021, 05:56 PM
Big