PDA

View Full Version : Update On What Led To Braun Strowman’s WWE Release

Kemo
06-04-2021, 09:39 PM
Many fans were surprised that former Universal Champion Braun Strowman was released from WWE this week.

According to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, multiple factors went into his release. These included his high salary, the debut of other giants to the main roster, and the lack of a no-cut clause in his contract. Strowman was earning $1.2 million and did not have a no-cut clause in his contract which many top-talent do.

“One person noted he made a huge mistake in negotiations because when he signed his new deal, he was considered a hot commodity and if he pushed for it, probably could have gotten a no-cut contract that a few of the bigger names have,” wrote Dave Meltzer.

The addition of new giants to WWE’s main roster is believed to have played a role in Braun’s release as well.

“The decision was made because of the feeling he was two years past his peak and he had become obsolete as the roster giant because of Omos on Raw, Commander Azeez on Smackdown, and perhaps Shanky on Raw,” Meltzer continued.

Braun Strowman put out the following tweet shortly after news of his release was announced:

What a chapter in life. Thank you!!!!!

— Braun Strowman (@BraunStrowman) June 2, 2021

It remains to be seen what the future holds for the big man. If he decides to stay in wrestling, there will surely be several companies vying for his services.

One promotion that is already sending out feelers is the National Wrestling Alliance. NWA President Billy Corgan addressed Braun Strowman’s situation this week. During an appearance on Busted Open Radio, Corgan said:

“Braun Strowman, if he was green in NXT, I’d be jumping all over it. There aren’t a lot of big guys that have that little of ability. So you think ‘how do you let a guy like that out the door?’ I don’t mean to be critical; I’m not making the business decisions. But I don’t know how you let a guy like that out the door.”