PDA

View Full Version : Keith Lee and WWE Both Trying To Trademark His Ring Name

Kemo
06-24-2021, 04:22 PM
Keith Lee‘s real name is Keith Lee and it’s been his wrestling name as well since 2008. WWE filed to trademark the name “Keith Lee” for wrestling purposes in the summer of 2019. Lee had signed with WWE the previous year.

Back in December, Lee put in his own trademark application for the name as well. According to documents obtained by HeelByNature, however, Lee’s attorney was sent a response from the USPTO recently stating there are two issues with his application and one of them is that WWE had previously filed to trademark the name.

“a mark in a prior-filed pending application may present a bar to registration of applicant’s mark.”

“The filing date of pending U.S. Application Serial No. 88594009 precedes applicant’s filing date.”

Today is a day that can and will define the future. The wheels can have motion and move forward….or…. they can stop completely.

……Make your wheels turn. Accept no substitute.

— Optimistic Lee (@RealKeithLee) May 11, 2021

The application is also being rejected on the grounds that “Keith Lee” refers to a person and not a service.

“The personal name of an individual or group is registrable as a service mark only where the record shows that it is used in a manner that would be perceived by consumers as identifying the services in addition to identifying the person or group. In this case, the specimen shows the applied-for mark used only to identify the name of an individual/group and not as a service mark for applicant’s services because, as used in the specimen of record, the wording KEITH LEE appears only to refer to the name of an individual, not the identified services.”

To the people offering uplifting words…. know that I appreciate you greatly. And worry not, when I say #iAmLimitless, I MEAN IT.

I will try to find a way to explain everything in the most efficient way possible. Give me just a little more time.
— Optimistic Lee (@RealKeithLee) May 24, 2021

The fact Keith Lee and WWE are both attempting to trademark his name will likely lead to speculation regarding Lee’s recent absence from WWE programming. Lee has not wrestled on WWE programming since February. He defeated Riddle in a match on the February 8th, 2021 episode.

Lee has also been sharing numerous ominous messages regarding his whereabouts in recent months.

I wanted to do something educational, but also inspiring to tell you guys about everything since late January. Seems that is off the table for now.

So….with that, I will find another way to tell guys about everything. It might simply a video of me chatting with you. We'll see.

— Optimistic Lee (@RealKeithLee) June 4, 2021