PDA

View Full Version : Paul Heyman Looks Back On Working Post-9/11 SmackDown

Kemo
09-10-2021, 03:27 PM
Paul Heyman has taken the time to reflect on working the episode of SmackDown following the tragic events of 9/11.

On Sept. 11, 2001, a terrorist attack took place in New York City. As a result of these attacks, the Twin Towers collapsed and nearly 3,000 people were killed. The Pentagon in Washington, D.C. was also attacked.

As one would imagine, the post-9/11 episode of SmackDown was an emotional one. Heyman was on color commentator duties on the show. During an interview with Sports Illustrated, Heyman looked back on the post-9/11 episode of SmackDown.

“I didn’t know how to convey that on the air, and I didn’t know if it was my place to do so, but as a New Yorker, I felt obligated to identify myself—not only from the perspective of New York as a locale in which I reside but also that deep down, the person you see talking at the moment is culturally, physically, spiritually a New Yorker at heart. I hardly remember anything about that night, other than the memory of Lilian Garcia singing. I don’t even remember what she sang, whether it was ‘God Bless, America,’ ‘America, The Beautiful,’ or the national anthem—I just remember she sang. When she was singing, she did it flawlessly. Her voice carried the emotion of the moment to such a degree that it moved me and woke me up. It also made me a complete emotional wreck.

“I can’t tell you one match that happened on that show. All I remember is the bolt that went through my system when I heard Lilian sing, which reminded me I had an obligation to deliver. Then I heard Jim Ross say, ‘Just follow my lead, kid, and you’ll be fine,’ which is the same thing he’d said to me during my first broadcast on Raw. Afterward, I can still remember Vince McMahon in my headset saying, ‘That was great. Now it’s time to entertain.’ From that point on, I hope J.R. and I did justice to the job for which we were tasked, but I don’t remember doing it all.”

Almost 20 years from the day of the 9/11 attacks, SmackDown will be held inside Madison Square Garden in New York City. Paul Heyman is expected to attend alongside the WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns.