PDA

View Full Version : Seth Rollins Reflects On Creative Differences With WWE

Kemo
09-30-2021, 06:43 PM
Seth Rollins has looked back on the one time he strongly disagreed with the direction of his character.

Many have viewed Rollins as a team player. He often defends WWE publicly and has called the promotion the best wrestling company in the world. You never really hear about Rollins causing a fuss internally with WWE management.

With that said, disagreements are bound to happen. Back in 2016, Rollins returned from a torn ACL and MCL that he suffered in late 2015. Fans were excited to see Rollins return at the conclusion of the Extreme Rules PPV, nailing Roman Reigns with a Pedigree.

At the time, Reigns was the top babyface while Rollins was the heel. Despite knowing that he’d get big reactions upon his return, Seth Rollins remained a heel.

Appearing on Stone Cold Steve Austin‘s Broken Skull Sessions, Rollins admitted he felt WWE missed the boat on turning him face at that time.

“They [WWE Universe] had not fully accepted Roman as the top babyface champion yet. They still weren’t ready for it. I come back for the title I never lost, and so it made perfect sense. I thought for sure I’d be coming back as a babyface but the company had other plans, and that didn’t jibe with where I was mentally. I had envisioned myself as a babyface coming back. I had started to see momentum kind of pick up as I was coming back. I was like, ‘Okay, they’re gonna cheer me.’”

Rollins eventually did turn face, feuding with Triple H. “The Game” had turned his back on Rollins, hitting him with a Pedigree during a WWE Universal Championship match. This allowed Kevin Owens to pin Rollins and lay claim to the gold. Rollins got his revenge on Triple H, pinning him at WrestleMania 33.