PDA

View Full Version : Stone Cold Steve Austin Reflects On 'Fluky' King of The Ring Victory

Kemo
03-23-2023, 09:16 AM
tjWPoQWdmjg

All it takes is one viral moment or act to get a wrestler's career going. Stone Cold Steve Austin is probably the best example of it. The 1996 King of The Ring win and the 3:16 promo afterward started The Texas Rattlesnake on a journey of a lifetime. It eventually led to him becoming the biggest star wrestling has ever seen and many believe Austin's popularity is what tipped the scales in WWE's favor in Monday Night Wars.

The WWE Hall of Famer reflected on this moment during a recent interview on Out of Character podcast. Austin mentioned how it was a string of events that led to the iconic moment. This included Triple H who was originally supposed to win the tournament getting punished because of the infamous curtain call incident:

"It's funny because I cut that promo 1996 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was a fluky win. I wasn't supposed to win." recalled Stone Cold Steve Austin, "Triple H was going to. They broke Kayfabe in Garden. [They] had to punish somebody. Shawn was a world champion [they] couldn't punish him, [so they] punished Hunter. Vince tells me I'm winning King of the Ring. All the things that happened.

Marc Mero kicks me in the mouth. I go to the hospital [and] get stitched up, come back, step out of ambulance. While I was gone Jake Roberts cuts a religious interview. Doc Hendricks tells me about it. I go out there, wrestle Jake, meet Jake. Do the interview. Doc Hendricks smartened me up about it and I let loose with the Austin 3:16 video and cause Stone Cold said so. So I hit two grand slams with something that was never supposed to happen."

Wrestling fans have since taken up this moment and made it into a festival. The 3:16 day has become an unofficial Holiday and Steve Austin mentioned how this is only possible in wrestling:

"All these years later for the fans to just take it upon themselves and make 3:16, March 16 something because of Austin 3:16. Now it's kind of like unofficially, an official holiday. Only the wrestling crowd could do that and pull it off. I'm not saying it is, they did. You don't give yourself a cool nickname, someone's gotta do it for you. I didn't make Austin 3:16 day. I cut the promo and the fans did it."

You can check out Stone Cold Steve Austin's full interview below:

CLOSkuBV0OQ