PDA

View Full Version : Corey Graves: WWE's Women's Tag Team Division Has "Never Really Caught Fire"

Kemo
04-16-2023, 11:35 PM
WWE commentator Corey Graves has shared his brutally honest take on the promotion's Women's Tag Team Division.

In 2019, WWE introduced the new Women's Tag Team Championships, with Sasha Banks and Bayley capturing the gold at that year's Elimination Chamber event.

Just over two years later, WWE debuted the Women's Tag Team Championships in NXT, with Dakota Kai & Raquel Rodriguez being the first champions.

While WWE's introduction of the WWE Women's Tag Team titles was met with a lot of buzz, excitement among fans quickly fizzled out.

Fans have criticized WWE for quickly losing interest in the titles, as the second champions The IIconics, were given just a handful of title matches.

After retaining their titles in a squash match on the post-WrestleMania 35 SmackDown, the Australians defended once on a June 2019 Raw before losing the gold.

Some have taken aim at the lack of established tag teams, with many of the teams (including the current champions) being makeshift pairings.

This lack of focus continues to this day, with the WWE Women's Tag Titles being the only main-roster not defended at WrestleMania 39.

Throughout the tenure of the WWE Women's Tag Team Championships, Corey Graves has called the action at WWE TV events and at Premium Live Events.

Speaking on After the Bell, Graves shared his take on the titles and the division and was well aware that his comments wouldn't go down well.

"I’m probably going to catch hell for this, it’s never really caught fire. It’s never been a strong division. It’s sort of been an amalgam of thrown together tag teams. ‘I’m going to team with this person tonight, we have a tag title match we didn’t win, okay, time to get a new partner.’ It’s always been very transient and constantly in flux. I’m talking the entire existence of the titles, since the very beginning."

This week's Raw saw Liv Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez capture the Women's Tag Titles from Becky Lynch and Trish Stratus.

Morgan and Rodriguez have been a tag-team in less than ten matches on WWE's main roster.