PDA

View Full Version : Renee Paquette Wasn't Ready for WWE Monday Night Raw Commentary Role

Kemo
04-19-2023, 04:13 PM
Renee Paquette was unprepared for the daunting role of becoming a full-time commentator on WWE's flagship show: Monday Night Raw.

During the August 13, 2018, episode of Raw, Paquette (then Renee Young) filled in for the absent Jonathon Coachman, becoming the first woman to call an entire Raw.

Paquette joined the commentary team full-time the following month and became the first permanent female commentator in Raw history.

After just over a year in the role, Paquette's tenure behind the desk ended in October 2019 with a move to SmackDown as the show's "special contributor."

While Renee Paquette made history with her appointment to the Raw commentary team, it was not something she was ready for.

During Insight, Paquette told Chris Van Vliet that the commentary role is not respected enough, and gave her own experience as an example.

"It's not that there's not enough respect put on what commentary needs and to be good at commentary, they do understand that. But a lot of times they're like, 'Okay well, put Renee on, she'll be good! She's good in these other things, let's put her on commentary.' I was not ready to do commentary."

Paquette is one of many people to don the headset and have Vince McMahon in their eye while they try and call the action in the ring.

Paquette spoke about Adnan Virk's brief commentary tenure, calling him a "fantastic broadcaster" who wasn't well-versed in WWE lore.

The Canadian broadcaster added that it takes a long time to train someone to be a great commentator, though admitted that Pat McAfee is an "anomaly."

Speaking about Michael Cole, Paquette said:

"Michael Cole has been doing commentary for what? Like 20 years or something? And I think now he finally does get the credit. He's so great and he's got such thick skin. I assure you it does not rattle him when people wanna talk a little s***."