PDA

View Full Version : Former WWE Star Reflects On Beating Hulk Hogan

Kemo
04-21-2023, 02:57 AM
WWE Hall of Famer Hulk Hogan once put over Jacques Rougeau Jr.

Jacques Rougeau Jr. (aka The Mountie) is popular for his brief stint in WWE as a corrupt Canadian police officer during the early '90s. He did quite well in the promotion as a mid-card act back then. He once ended up picking up a huge win over 'The Hulkster.'

Hulk Hogan is a pro wrestling icon. He portrayed a babyface gimmick for the majority of his career before turning heel for the first time in over a decade when he surprisingly joined forces with the former WWE stars, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash at WCW Bash at the Beach 1996. They came to be known as the New World Order (nWo).

Rougeau who was portrayed as a babyface had faced 'Hollywood Hulk Hogan' during the height of nWo back in 1997 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. He picked up the win with a small package as the fans cheered for him.
Jacques Rougeau recalls the match against Hulk Hogan

The Mountie recently had a chat with Wrestlingnews.co and shared a bunch of interesting stories from his time in WWE including winning against Hogan. He went on to reveal the backstage conversation with Hogan and he wasn't sure that he would go over Hogan. He said:

“When I was in the dressing room that night, I had no idea I was going over. I said, ‘No, no. I’m going in to do the job.' Even in Montreal, I was just so glad that he worked with me. It was just so notorious and prestigious to be in the ring with Hulk Hogan. I wasn’t in the same caliber as him. Since I booked the show, I’m the one that booked Flair, Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, I booked the whole show. It was my card and I booked the show. I wanted Ric Flair on the card, so I booked that show. We got in the dressing room. The Harlem Heat was in there too. There was a lot of good talent that Eric Bischoff permitted me to take from WCW.”

“When I got in the dressing room that night, we’re all there, and out of nowhere, I came into the room, and I guess everybody knew it was my show. I get in the dressing room and Hulk takes the word up, he stands up, and he says, ‘Okay brother. What are we doing tonight?’ I looked at him and I started laughing. You know, like he’s asking me what are we doing tonight? Then he says, ‘Brother, don’t laugh. It’s your show. How are you beating me tonight?’ Then I really started laughing. I said, ‘That’s funny Hulk. That’s really, really funny.’ He said, ‘I’m serious, brother. It’s your show. It’s your time tonight. How do you want to beat me?’ You could hear a pin drop in the dressing room from all the boys. They were like, is he serious or is this a rib?"

It is important to note that while Jacques Rougeau may not have had the same level of fame and success as Hulk Hogan, he was still a talented and accomplished wrestler in his own right.