PDA

View Full Version : Chavo Guerrero Texted Rey Mysterio After Scathing Comments About Eddie's Legacy

Kemo
05-01-2023, 09:38 PM
Chavo Guerrero wanted to make sure that his recent scathing comments about Rey Mysterio were not taken seriously by the WWE Hall of Famer.

Last month, Guerrero spoke about the legacy of Eddie Guerrero in the years since his death in 2005, as WWE has never shied away from referencing Latino Heat. During an autograph signing, Guerrero said that Rey Mysterio and others have been "pr*stituting" off the Guerrero name for their own benefit. Following Eddie's death, WWE liberally used Eddie's name to promote Mysterio, culminating in Rey's first of three World Championship wins at WrestleMania 22.

It wasn't long after Guerrero's comments earned considerable backlash that the former WWE Cruiserweight Champion insisted that his comments were in character and not meant to be taken seriously. Given that Chavo hasn't faced Rey in over a decade, fans were skeptical of Guerrero's claim that he was merely working a feud with the masked legend. Speaking to Sportskeeda Wrestling, Guerrero revealed that he made it clear that he contacted Mysterio after his initial comments.

"After that was done, I said, 'Now let me show you how this could really play out.' I text Rey, I told him real quick, I said, 'Hey, not real. It's not real heat, I'm not mad, just a work.' He jokingly text me back, he said, 'Yeah, I was wondering, what did I ever do to him?' and we had a little quick laugh about it. So I said, 'Okay, anything I say from then on, just disregard it."

In 2006, Chavo would turn heel on Rey, costing him the World Heavyweight Championship at that year's Great American Bash. At the time, Guerrero would say that Mysterio was trying to live vicariously through the Guerrero name and legacy.