PDA

View Full Version : WWE Wanted Drew McIntyre To Lose His Accent Upon His Main Roster Debut

Kemo
05-04-2023, 07:41 AM
WWE is known for their strange edicts and bizarre expectations from talents. It's not a surprise that they wanted Drew McIntyre to lose his accent when the former world champion first came up to the main roster.

Former WWE writer Freddie Prinze Jr. talked about the wrestling events of the past week on the last episode of his Wrestling with Freddie podcast. The focus of the episode was on the WWE Draft and the upcoming Backlash PPV.

The upcoming PLE will see Bianca Belair defending the SmackDown Women's Championship against IYO SKY. This match should be the end of the rivalry because Belair has been drafted to Raw while SKY alongside the rest of Damage Control has been picked up by SmackDown.

Speaking about this feud, Freddie mentioned how he has softened up on Bianca due to her promo skills:

"I have softened a bit on Bianca since she first won the title. I would have liked to see her and maybe she's not given the freedom on the microphone but it still looks a little tight sometimes. And that's either they're making her stay on script, or she needs to stay on script.

I would like to see them let go a little bit with that or maybe just see her relax a little bit in her promos vs. IO SKY who they won't let speak because English wasn't her first language even though she speaks English. [They're like] 'There's an accent. No one can understand.'

The former WWE writer then revealed that the rules about promos are not limited to people who are not native English speakers. He recalled how WWE wanted Drew McIntyre to lose his accent when he was first called up to the main roster back in August 2009:

"Bro, they did it to English-speaking dudes like Drew McIntyre. So they did that with Drew McIntyre. When I first worked there, they called him up from FCW and they're like, 'You have to lose the accent.' I was like 'What? You can't make him do that. He's not a trained actor. He's never worked on his voice. He is a big ass dude from Scotland."