PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cardona Won't Be "Just a Guy on the Roster" if He Returns to WWE

Kemo
05-08-2023, 11:03 PM
Will Matt Cardona return to WWE? Perhaps, but if so, it'll be as something far different than before.

Cardona's 15 years with WWE ended in April 2020 and being cut proved to be a blessing in disguise for the former Zack Ryder. Since his release, Cardona has competed for AEW and IMPACT Wrestling and has made a name for himself on the independent scene. Cardona has reinvented himself into a hated heel outside of WWE and has held the NWA and GCW World Championships.

When Triple H began rehiring names following his appointment as WWE's Head of Talent Relations, Cardona began teasing his return. The former U.S. Champion even teased returning as part of this year's Men's Royal Rumble match, which was eventually won by Matt's good friend Cody Rhodes. Speaking to the Heated Shenanigans Podcast, Cardona said that if he was to return to WWE, it wouldn't be like before.

“I’m not gonna come back to, you know, just be on the show. I would never go back just to be back. I’ve been on the roster. I was there. Very fortunate for my time there. Spent over a decade there. But I did the whole just a guy on the roster thing. I have no desire to do that again. If I’m gonna be there, I wanna matter. And I think I proved over the past three years that I’m more than capable of holding my own. And if I ever get that opportunity again, I think I’ll prove that to the world.”

It's unclear if WWE has reached out to Cardona about a return, but his coming back would allow Matt to spend more time with his wife. Chelsea Green was released by WWE in April 2021 but returned to the promotion during this year's Women's Royal Rumble match.