PDA

View Full Version : Sami Zayn's Night of Champions Experience Was What He'd Always Been Waiting For

Kemo
06-02-2023, 08:49 PM
Sami Zayn's experience in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was everything the popular Superstar had hoped for and much more.

At WWE Night of Champions Zayn and Kevin Owens retained the Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championships against Solo Sikoa and Undisputed WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns. The match marked Reigns' third defeat since his transformation into the Tribal Chief in the summer of 2020. Reigns, who reached 1,000 days as Universal Champion at Night of Champions, is yet to be pinned.
Sami in Saudi

For Sami Zayn, competing at Night of Champions had been a long time coming. Due to his Syrian heritage, the Canadian Superstar had been kept off of Saudi-based events, resulting in Kevin Owens refusing to go in solidarity. Zayn's involvement this year is believed to be thanks to the relationship between Saudi Arabia and Syria improving recently. Speaking on the latest episode of After the Bell, Zayn spoke about the importance of the trip.

"It'd been years since I went back to the Middle East. I think the last time I was there was maybe 2016 in Dubai, possibly. So it'd been a little while. And of course as your saw on the Premium Live Event, all this to say I'm Arabic, I'm Muslim and all this stuff and that's my part of the world. I understand those people, those are my people.

"When I went there, I got to go to Mecca, which is just a surreal [place] Was a surreal experience. And then I also saw my uncles who I haven't seen in 25 years and my cousins who I haven't seen in 25 years. I met my great uncle who I didn't even know existed. So it was pretty heavy in a lot of ways. It had a lot of weight."

Zayn went on to discuss the event and the profound effect of WWE's latest Saudi show going off the air with himself and Owens standing tall.

"The actual event itself and the reception from the audience, it's kind of what I've been waiting for for a while in a way. Because I always thought that I would have been a natural representative for those shows and I just wasn't. So it was good to finally be put in that position, and in a main event spot opposite Roman and Solo and the story that has been carrying the company for a minute now. I don't know, it felt like it all came together perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better way to go back."

With his program with The Bloodline seemingly in the past, Owens and Zayn have begun a promo with Imperium's Ludwig Kaiser and Giovanni Vinci.

LionDen
06-03-2023, 09:46 PM
I am happy for Zayn. He has certainly put the hard yards in and IMO deserves the star spotlight he has been receiving.