PDA

View Full Version : John Cena Had to be Encouraged to Go Public with Make-A-Wish Work

Kemo
06-09-2023, 07:26 AM
The world may not have known about John Cena's incredible work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation if not for the coaxing of Vince McMahon.

Cena holds the record for granting to most wishes for the foundation, which makes dreams come true for young people facing life-threatening or terminal illnesses. Cena has granted over 650 wishes, and at WrestleMania 39, granted even more when he allowed young fans to participate in his entrance at the Showcase of the Immortals.

John Cena's work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation has been well documented for years now, but initially, John was reluctant to make his work public. The 16-time WWE World Champion perhaps thought that if his work was public, he would face accusations of only working with Make-A-Wish for public clout. Speaking on the Tetragrammaton podcast, Paul Heyman recalled how John was convinced to go public.

"I don’t have the words to convey the admiration I have for John Cena as a human being. There had to come a point in time where Vince had to sit down with John and say, ‘You need to let me go public with these Make-A Wish visits. You have to. You know you’re hurting Make-A-Wish by not allowing me to do that because if people understood how much of your time you give to Make-a-Wish and to these kids, they’ll be inclined to contribute. They’ll be inclined to get involved. You will help them if you allow this’, because Cena never wanted to exploit it.

He never wanted publicity for it. He never wanted recognition for it. He wanted to just do it. That’s a hero."

John Cena hasn't appeared for WWE since WrestleMania 39, where he lost to WWE United States Champion Austin Theory in the opening match of Night One. WWE recently granted the first wishes in Saudi Arabia as part of the promotion's trip to the nation for WWE Night of Champions 2023.