PDA

View Full Version : The Rock Responds to Reports of the XFL Bleeding Money

Kemo
06-12-2023, 02:42 AM
It’s been a few years since Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson teamed up with RedBird Capital and business partner Dany Garcia, who purchased the bankrupt XFL back after Vince McMahon folded the league.

Its 2020 season was cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to them buying it for $23.5 million.

Earlier this year, the league launched alongside a television deal with Disney that saw games be broadcasted on ABC as well as the networks of ESPN, ESPN2, and FX. That deal, which sees them get paid a reported $20 million per year, lasts until 2027.

The championship game took place in May that saw the Arlington Renegades, led by legendary Oklahoma Sooners head football coach Bob Stoops walk away with the trophy.

In an article by Forbes, it was noted the league lost an estimated $60 million this year. Next season, the league projects $100 million in revenue.

This number led to the league trending on social media, leading to The Rock taking to Twitter to note that the leadership is confident in what the league can do over the long haul. He wrote the following:

“I’ve tried to tell him his whole life but he’s never listened to me. I play the long game in business and XFL is no exception. We saw some nice successes and took some L’s in our first season that we learn from. 75-100 XFL players will be competing in NFL camps this fall. That’s a big number that will continue to grow season over season. We’re in it for the long haul. Step by step building the league of opportunity. Like with any venture, success takes time. Thanks XFL fans for the love & support. @XFL2023 @ESPN.”