PDA

View Full Version : WWE Advertising Kofi Kingston's Return, What He'll Be Doing When He's Back

Kemo
06-17-2023, 07:46 AM
Kofi Kingston says his recovery from ankle surgery is going "really well" and he's now focusing on getting back into ring shape.

We last saw Kingston in action on the February 24 edition of Friday Night SmackDown. He was injured the following week in a segment involving Sheamus, Drew McIntyre, Karrion Kross, and LA Knight that would set up a 5-way match to determine a challenger to Gunther's Intercontinental title at WrestleMania 39.

Xavier Woods wound up taking Kingston’s spot in that match. Gunther went on to defend the IC title at WrestleMania against Sheamus and McIntyre.

According to Kingston, the injury occurred when Drew McIntyre, who he called a "massive, Scottish behemoth of a man" landed on his leg. It was later determined he'd require surgery. He's since had the procedure and is on the road to recovery.

Kingston was a guest on the latest Battleground Podcast and gave fans an update on how his recovery is going and when we can expect to see him return.

The New Day member revealed his ankle was completely sprained, he had a torn ligament and bone chips.

"I’m on the mend, you know? Somewhere in between a robot and a zombie," he joked. "Somewhere in between. I’m working my way back into the fold so, it’s all good, life is grand. I’m doing really well. I actually had this same surgery on the same ankle about six years ago to have bone chips removed so I feel like this time around,"

Kingston doesn't know exactly when he'll be able to wrestle for WWE again, but doctors have told him he's "kind of ahead of schedule" with his rehab.

He has minimal pain and is able to live a normal life, for the most part. However, being pain free does not mean you're ready to compete for WWE at the highest level.

"Now it’s just a matter of trying to go to the next level and do WWE superstar things, you know what I mean? In-ring, things like that.”

In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer provided some insight on what to expect when Kingston does return to WWE:

"Kofi Kingston should be back shortly after undergoing ankle surgery, He is starting to be listed in advertising for shows, although the shows are still a few months away.

Kingston & Woods will be put back together as a tag team on Raw most likely upon his return."