PDA

View Full Version : Ex-NXT Star Anya Zova Talks Almost Being Part of The Wyatt Family

Kemo
06-25-2023, 07:25 PM
The name Anya Zova may not ring many bells among wrestling fans, but the ex-NXT Superstar was once reportedly considered for big things.

Zova joined WWE in August 2012 and was assigned to NXT, which had recently been revamped into the promotion's developmental brand. Prior to wrestling, Zova competed in kickboxing in her native Russia, and would place first in the Kickboxing Russian Champion in 2008 and Kickboxing World Cup in 2011.

Zova's time with NXT did not last long, as she would suffer a broken arm in early 2013, and would be released from the promotion that May. Speaking on the Developmentally Speaking podcast recently, Zova, born in the Soviet Union and billed from Voronezh, Russia, was aware that her background would make her a heel.

"I mean, I was obviously always like a heel. A badass. A few wrestlers pitched me to work with them to be a valet. Brodus Clay [now Tyrus in the NWA] loved me. He wanted me to be one. But I'm like, 'You already have two girls, you don't need another girl.' ... We still tried it at a few local shows in Florida, which I appreciate. So he tried to help me because that's how it happens, one big wrestler wants to bring you up and sees potential in you."

Zova added that there were at one-time plans for her to become part of the Wyatt Family, the group led by Bray Wyatt that included Erick Rowan and Luke Harper.

"Once I got released, I was talking to somebody from The Wyatt Family. So apparently, what they had in mind is they wanted me to do The Wyatt Family and make me white trash, which would be fun. I would love that. When I heard it — I'm trying to remember, was it Wyatt? I think it was Wyatt who told me that, he's like, 'Yeah. We wanted you to be part of it.' That was their goal. I'm like, 'Well, that would be fun.' But it probably wasn't meant to be."

After her release from WWE, Zova would sue the promotion, alleging that her broken arm was the result of WWE and its staff not training other amateur wrestlers who ran into Zova during a warm-up. On June 23, 2017, the lawsuit was voluntarily dismissed.

In the years since, WWE would continue to dance around the possibility of a female Wyatt Family member, but would never pull the trigger. Arguably the closest fans ever got to the idea was Alexa Bliss' dramatic transformation in 2020, though this came long after the faction had been split.