PDA

View Full Version : Cody Rhodes I Have 'Earned' the Right to be Known as Dusty's Son

Kemo
07-25-2023, 01:49 PM
:codylogo:

Cody Rhodes may be the son of Dusty Rhodes, but it was a long journey before he 'earned' being the offspring of the American Dream.

The WWE Hall of Famer's influence has been well-documented for years, down to Cody calling himself 'The American Nightmare ' in a nod to Dusty's moniker. When Rhodes returned to WWE, the former AEW TNT Champion made it clear he aimed to become WWE Champion to fulfill a promise to his father.

In the run-up to WrestleMania 39, Rhodes' relationship with his father played center-stage in his feud with Roman Reigns. Much was said about Dusty's relationship with Reigns (who worked in NXT during Dusty's time as a trainer) and how the legend's relationship with Cody was different to his relationship with his NXT roster (affectionately named 'Dusty's Kids.') Speaking to Chris Van Vliet of Insight, Cody revealed he had no issue with Dusty becoming such a large part of his story, and spoke about earning the right to be known as his son.

"I was definitely okay with it. I had gotten to the point, at the end of my run with AEW and at the he beginning of my [second] run with WWE, where I was really big on leaning in. I had been leaning out for so long, I had been leaning out. 'Okay they are starting to boo here' and you're kind of split, but let's just lean in to it. Let's stir it up.

"I was fine with leaning it because it feels like it's now or never in a sense. It's now or never. There's things that you have to earn and when your someone's kid and you're second generation or third generation, you have them all at your disposal at the beginning. But there's a difference from when you use them at the beginning and when you earn them. And I had felt like I had earned them. And I remember Stephanie McMahon said this, she said 'Use everything. Use everything you have.' And there couldn't be a more appropriate time to use everything. WrestleMania. The main event. Essentially getting elected President is getting that match. The final match? Use it all. Use everything you have."

Rhodes was unable to 'finish the story' at WrestleMania 39 and controversially lost to Reigns in the main event of Night Two. The American Nightmare has since moved onto a feud with Brock Lesnar and will face the Beast at Summerslam on August 5.

LionDen
07-25-2023, 10:07 PM
Cody Rhodes On Leaving AEW For WWE, Meeting With Vince, WrestleMania 39 Loss To Roman Reigns
INSIGHT with Chris Van Vliet

D6SAnNahiE0