PDA

View Full Version : WWE Women's Tag Champ Sonya Deville Gives Statement After Torn ACL Injury

Kemo
08-08-2023, 07:40 PM
WWE Women's Tag Team Champion Sonya Deville has become the latest Superstar to be 'cursed' by holding those titles.

Within the past 24 hours, news broke that Deville has suffered a torn ACL which will keep the former MMA fighter out indefinitely. Deville and Chelsea Green only recently won the WWE Women's Tag Team Championships, and WWE had hoped that the pair would be able to 'stabilize' the titles which have been vacated in the past due to injuries as well as the infamous suspension of Sasha Banks and Naomi.

In a video on Twitter, Deville spoke about her injury, joking that the tag team titles are "cursed," and went into detail about what exactly happened.

"I have torn my left ACL last week on SmackDown in my match against Bianca and Charlotte, and obviously, I will be out for an extended period of time due to the fact that I have to get surgery tomorrow."

Deville thanked everyone who has sent their well wishes and sent her messages of support, stating that it means a lot. Deville then went on to talk about this title reign, the first in her eight-year career with WWE, being ended this way.

"I’ve been working the last eight plus years in the WWE and in my wrestling career to obtain a title of some sort, and I finally gotten my hands on the women’s tag team titles with Chelsea and I think we’ve been champs for 20 something days. So obviously it’s super bitter to say that it’s come to an end due to an injury."

Deville said that this injury is just the latest chapter of her life, a "journey of trials and tribulations" and that her willpower is once again being tested. Despite the injury, Deville remained positive about her future.

"I feel like coming back from this injury, although it’s unfortunate, I feel like it’s going to give me a bigger motivation and just passion for what I already love doing and that’s being in the WWE.

"I’m going to be back sooner rather than later and I’m going to be ready to put my hair up and square up.”

Deville is unfortunately not the only Superstar on the roster to be out with an ACL injury. Damage CTRL's Dakota Kai has been out for months with a torn ACL and is expected to be out of action for the rest of 2023. Kai spoke about her injury during the post-SummerSlam 2023 press conference. In January of this year, NXT's Nikkita Lyons announced she was out with a Torn ACL, as is NXT's Sol Ruca.

Sonya Deville got engaged in June, but was confident she'd marry her bride-to-be years before they met