PDA

View Full Version : GUNTHER Could Headline WrestleMania 40 as Intercontinental Champion

Kemo
08-17-2023, 07:40 AM
GUNTHER is eager to headline WrestleMania 40 and challenge for a World Championship, but that doesn't mean he plans on dropping his current gold.

The Austrian powerhouse has dominated as WWE Intercontinental Champion since capturing the gold in June of last year. Since then, GUNTHER has retained in matches with Rey Mysterio, Ricochet, Shinsuke Nakamura, Braun Strowman, and others. GUNTHER's title defense with Sheamus at last September's Clash at the Castle event received praise from fans and those in the industry.

GUNTHER made his WrestleMania debut this year with a physical victory over both Sheamus and Drew McIntyre. Speaking with Steve Fall, GUNTHER spoke about next year's WrestleMania and the possibility of headlining the show as Intercontinental Champion.

“Who knows? If I get the chance of being in the Royal Rumble as the Intercontinental Champion, maybe. Yeah, I think going into that, I would be a favorite, so that would lead to WrestleMania. So, the chance is there.”

GUNTHER will no doubt be considered a favorite in next year's Men's Royal Rumble match. This year's bout (also GUNTHER's first Rumble match,) saw the Imperium leader break the record for the longest tenure in a 30-person Rumble match, and the #1 entrant was the final name eliminated.

Only one Intercontinental Champion has headlined WrestleMania with the gold. For WrestleMania 6, then-Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior defeated then-WWF Champion Hulk Hogan in a 'Winner Takes All' match. Earlier this year, GUNTHER shared his confidence in headlining next year's Showcase of the Immortals.

WrestleMania 40 will take place on April 6, and April 7, next year, marking the fifth WrestleMania to take place over two nights. The show will take place in Philadelphia, with tickets going on sale this weekend. Triple H is reportedly planning on stacking next year's show with as many high-profile matches due to the milestone number.

TKO
08-17-2023, 06:10 PM
Hopefully he should keep it for years, and then become world champion maybe win the rumble

LionDen
08-18-2023, 03:20 AM
Hopefully he should keep it for years, and then become world champion maybe win the rumble

Triple H loves him, so GUNTHER becoming a world champion would be no surprise to me. In September he will be the longest Intercontinental champion of all time.