PDA

View Full Version : "It Was Magic”: Corey Graves Mesmerized by Gunther vs Chad Gable on Raw

Kemo
09-08-2023, 09:10 PM
Corey Graves thinks Gunther vs. Chad Gable was the perfect match.

One of the big changes we have seen in the Triple H era of WWE is in the presentation of underdogs. Stars who have previously not been able to spread their wings have been allowed the opportunity to showcase their talent whether it be on the mic or the ring. The Chad Gable vs. Gunther match from this past Monday's Raw is a great example of the same.

Gable who is a former US Olympian got a chance to showcase his in-ring skill as he tried to stop Gunther from breaking the all-time record for the Intercontinental Championship. The Ring General on the other hand once again brought the physicality that he is known for. These two would go on to compete in a hard-hitting match that many already consider the match of the year.

The WWE announcer talked about this match on the latest episode of After The Bell podcast. Corey Graves explained how this contest had everything needed for it to be considered a perfect match:

"For my money, Gunther vs. Chad Gable for the Intercontinental Championship on Monday Night Raw was as close to perfect as you can get in the year 2023. The emotion was at an all-time high. You have got this daunting, dominant Gunther Intercontinental Champion on the verge of making history to become the longest-reigning Intercontinental Champion in history.

You've got Chad Gable, this guy who's sort of flown under the radar for a while. We've seen glimpses of what he's capable of. But Gable seems to have really found it and feeling it and the crowd. The energy from the crowd. Gable's family in the front row. It was as close to Rocky vs. Ivan Drago in a WWE ring as we're going to see or we've seen since at least the 80s in the Hulkamania era where you have the evil foreign villain."

At the end of the day, Chad Gable failed to stop Gunther. The Austrian star broke the record of Honky Tonk Man to become the longest-reigning IC champion of all time. Corey Graves mentioned how the outcome wasn't favorable for Gable's fans but everyone recognizes that it was a magical moment nonetheless:

"The chemistry from bell to bell...they could have gone an hour and I would not have batted an eyelash. I was hanging on every move. Gable, reminding everyone that he's a United States Olympian, which in and of itself is a feat that most people can't fathom the work that actually goes into reaching that level. You've got Gunther, who I say it all the time on this show, and I believe it more and more every week. Here's your headline for the week. Corey Graves says 'Gunther is the best professional wrestler on the planet Earth right now. Period.'

Gunther makes me believe in what I'm seeing and Gable met Gunther's physicality. Everything Gunther did, everything that makes Gunther, Gunther - Gable met every step of the way. It was magic. When Gunther got his hand raised. You could feel the sadness, the disappointment like somebody let the air out of the entire WWE Universe. But about three seconds after that, everyone went 'God that was awesome.' You couldn't even be sad. You couldn't even be disappointed because what you just saw was so special and so magical."