PDA

View Full Version : Drew McIntyre on Possible CM Punk Return: "He's Certainly Controversial"

Kemo
09-11-2023, 09:48 PM
Will CM Punk return to WWE? If so it won't be a decision Drew McIntyre will be involved in.

The 'Real World Champion' was released from AEW earlier this month following a week-long investigation into the backstage altercation at AEW All In. Punk's physical confrontation with Jack Perry ended with Punk using a chokehold on the former FTW Champion and left Tony Khan fearing for his life inside Wembley Stadium.

Since Punk's release, speculation has grown that he could make a return to WWE, close to a decade after walking out of the promotion. Speaking with Wrestle Binge, Drew McIntyre was asked about Punk possibly being rehired and made it clear that it won't be his call.

“I mean, I don't make those decisions. I watch what I say in interviews. But he [CM Punk] is certainly controversial and he gets people talking. So, I'll leave it at that.”

McIntyre and Punk have never faced off before but were allies in a six-man tag team match on the December 18th, 2009. The match saw the pair team with Luke Gallows (an ally of Punk at the time) to defeat Matt Hardy, John Morrison, and R-Truth.

Punk attempted to return to WWE last year, and had intended to work a program with Kevin Owens that never transpired. While Zelina Vega has said she thinks a Punk return would be great, the 'Real World Champion' is said to have 'heat' with top Superstars in the company.

Seth Rollins referred to Punk as a "cancer" during Punk's first suspension from AEW, a comment that would hurt the reigning WWE World Heavyweight Champion to say. Finn Balor has had a much more relaxed response to a potential CM Punk return, saying he'd wrestle a broom if the money is right.

G8nNd0Eqieg