PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Angle Talks About Past Drug Use

Kemo
09-26-2023, 12:51 AM
WWE Hall of Famer Kurt Angle can be considered an inspiration for someone who has overcome a dangerous past drug addiction and can live to talk about his experience. Angle has been open about abusing painkillers during his wrestling career, which he initially used because of his injuries, but became dependent on. The addiction affected his career and personal life, but he was able to get clean and share his story to help others not go down the same path.

In an interview with Joe Rogan, Angle reflected on his past issues and how he slowly became dependent on pain medications like Vicodin. He revealed he went from taking Vicodin once every four hours to 65 extra strength daily in 2003. Angle also spoke about dealing with grief from the tragic passing of his sister, Le'Anne Angle, who tragically passed away from a heroin overdose on September 15, 2003.

This resulted in Angle using pain medication to cope and took 20 painkillers that put him to sleep until the following evening. On September 16, still dealing with the grief and the effects of the painkillers, Angle chose to compete in his iconic 30-minute Iron Man match against Brock Lesnar on a taped episode of WWE Thursday Night Smackdown.

After discussing the passing of his sister, he shared with Rogan his regret of getting introduced to painkillers in the first place.

"...That was a really rough time, and the painkillers are the one thing I do regret I did in the company. I wish I was never introduced to them," said Angle.

Angle continued to reveal to Rogan how severe his addiction was to painkillers, to the point he would wake up and take 15 pills at a time.

While talking about how deadly it was to consume that many painkillers simultaneously, Angle said, "I've been really lucky and blessed. Honestly, I don't think I should be here today."

Angle's problems would eventually result in him leaving WWE in 2006 and joining Impact Wrestling. He admitted that after joining the company, he also started to get addicted to alcohol, which worsened his situation. Angle had four DUIs in five years. The breaking point for Angle was after the fourth DUI when his wife, Giovanna Angle, gave him an ultimatum to either get clean or she would leave him with their children. The WWE Hall of Famer checked into rehab for a month, overcame withdrawal, and has stayed clean of alcohol or painkillers since then.

Angle's decision to get clean saved his life. While it was a long stretch of difficult times in his life, he is now living better, married, and celebrated by wrestling fans for the legend he is.

u-eDY9YCrJg