PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Michaels Wants To See NXT Land On A ‘Younger, Hipper’ Network

Kemo
09-29-2023, 07:47 PM
:nxt4:

WWE fans are anxious to know where the new home of NXT will be after they leave the USA Network in 2024. While it's unclear where the developmental brand will land, Senior Vice President of Talent Development Creative Shawn Michaels hopes it with the right network for them.

NXT has been going through a successful growth after several changes over the last two years. The brand has changed from the "Black & Gold Era" with stars like Finn Balor, Adam Cole, and Rhea Ripley to showcasing newer talent like Carmelo Hayes, Bron Breakker, and Tiffany Stratton alongside WWE veterans.

The developmental brand is doing well on TV and doing premium live events outside of Florida. They focus on bringing in a younger demographic and getting the usual WWE audience. While NXT is doing great things on TV, their future is in limbo until they can get a new deal.

After NBCUniversal reached a five-year deal to have WWE Friday Night Smackdown on the USA Network in October 2024, it was reported that WWE Monday Night Raw and NXT would be leaving the network. The Hollywood Reporter's Alex Weprin shared that WWE Monday Night Raw is getting attention from different traditional TV networks, streaming services, and "Unexpected players." Meanwhile, WWE NXT's future is unclear.

In a media call ahead of NXT No Mercy, Michaels shared his thoughts on where he would like the developmental brand to go.

"...I would prefer to be on what I guess would feel like a younger, hipper kind of network, and that's just me because that's what NXT is," said Michaels.

The WWE Hall of Famer compared NXT to college football as a youthful, energetic, and exciting program. Michaels noted that he has a great relationship with the USA Network and that they have believed in their success since they decided to rebrand. However, he thinks about how beneficial it could be to be on a network with popular programming that younger fans would also tune in to see NXT.

"...My partners at USA have clearly have just been fantastic over the years. I feel like clearly we have. We have the proof to show it. We've grown in that younger demographic, but look, every now and then, you do think again, if we had a lead in into a Marvel movie or something like that, there might be an opportunity to capture a new fanbase, so to speak," said Michaels.

Despite the current uncertainty of where NXT will be next year, Michaels is confident that they'll find a new home. The success of the developmental brand this year shows that it can be a great asset to someone else once they leave the USA Network.

NTWwI6Ee8qs