PDA

View Full Version : Becky Lynch Says Mick Foley Got Her Hooked On Wrestling

Kemo
09-29-2023, 07:49 PM
The impressive career of WWE NXT Women's Champion Becky Lynch may have never begun if not for WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley getting her hooked on wrestling.

Lynch is currently in her first reign as NXT Women's Champion, having dethroned Tiffany Stratton earlier this month. Lynch is also a former Raw and SmackDown Women's Champion and former WWE Women's Tag Team Champion. This makes Lynch the sixth Women's Grand Slam Champion in WWE history.

The success of the first woman to win a WrestleMania Main Event cannot be denied and Lynch has come a long way from her humble roots as a fan in Ireland. Speaking on Insight with Chris Van Vliet, Lynch recalled being a fan as in her youth.

"I remember being a fan when I was a kid. Hulkamania, Ultimate Warrior, all that kind of [thing]. Dressing up in my mom's clothes and wrestling with my brother on her bed. But I fell out of watching it I think mostly because my brother fell out of watching."

Lynch recalled when her brother began re-watching during the Attitude Era but she was hardly the best of fans.

"I would come along when he was watching it, and I was one of those. I was the worst. I was like, 'Oh no, you know that's all fake. That's for babies.' And [he would be like] 'No, no, it actually really good now.' and I'd be like 'yeah sure, whatever.'"

Becky Lynch was hardly interested in getting back into wrestling until she saw the efforts of Mick Foley. In the interview, Lynch recalled how Mick not feeling the typical mold of what a wrestler should be appealed to her.

"The way he talked and stories he'd tell and, this underdog that he was and this unlikely superstar that he was. I was a bit of a misfit as a kid. Not a bit of a misfit. I was very much a misfit and I could see myself in him. There was just that relationship that rapport of like, 'No, you're not the picture-perfect superstar.' So he became my hero."

Lynch said she wanted Foley to beat Triple H at No Way Out 2000 which saw 'Cactus Jack' put his career on the line against the Game's WWF Championship. The young Lynch was in "floods of tears" after Foley lost before he returned to action weeks later for WrestleMania 2000.

Lynch also named Lita as someone who cemented her love for wrestling, saying the Team X-Treme alum was "so cool" and that she wanted to be like the future Hall of Famer.