PDA

View Full Version : Cody Rhodes Explains Why He Won't Take His Father's Spot In NXT

Kemo
10-08-2023, 04:05 PM
:codylogo:

The late great Dusty Rhodes is remembered for many things and one of them is his work in NXT. The WWE Hall of Famer helped curate the next generation of WWE stars during his time as the manager of the brand. Many of the current stars of the industry credit him for their success.

Dusty's son Cody Rhodes has followed his father's footsteps in his own way. With the creation of Nightmare Factory, the American Nightmare has been making his own contribution to develop the future generation of wrestling stars. The one thing he doesn't want to do however is take his father's place at the Performance center.

The former AEW star is set to appear on NXT this week with a surprise announcement. During the Fastlane press conference, he was asked if he could extend his stint at Full Sail and become the next Rhodes to teach a class at the performance center. Cody said that he is excited to be there but it'll be too emotional for him to teach a class:

"My manager can tell you this, when I came back to WWE, I flat out told them I will never step foot in the Performance Centre. The reason was not my dislike of the Performance Centre. [The reason] is he's everywhere in there, and that's hard. Then I ended up being in the Performance Centre, like a month later to do medical or something. [I'm like] 'Okay, I went back on that.'

I just want to go. I have a specific announcement that I want to bring. I'm excited to be there. I'm excited to see Shawn Michaels and what he's done. Carmelo Hayes is one of my favourite people. Trick [Williams] I mean, the whole [roster] it's an impressive group. I don't think that's in the cards for me. But here's the thing. I have probably told you guys a bazillion things and somehow ended up in that exact spot. So I don't know."

Cody Rhodes said that he is terrified to be at the Full Sail campus because of his dad's memories. He explained that someone like Mick Foley would be a better fit to fill the shoes of Dusty Rhodes at the Performance Center:

"Dusty taught communication. He taught promos. He called it communication. No one really filled that spot after he left. I always thought somebody like a Mick Foley or somebody would fill that spot. Somebody who's been there, did it, you know?

But I am not going to teach them anything. I'm going to be there with them and just enjoy it and have a little fun. It's outside my comfort zone. I'm genuinely terrified. I'm a little terrified of it. We're in a crazy time for our industry and I'm excited for my announcement and to be able to bring that to the NXT universe and sports entertainment fans and wrestling fans."