PDA

View Full Version : President Rock? Dwayne Johnson Has Been Courted by U.S. Political Parties

Kemo
11-10-2023, 09:59 PM
The White House could indeed become the People's House given that Dwayne Johnson could one day become President of the United States.

It was during an appearance on The Ellen Show in 2017 that Johnson's longtime co-star Kevin Hart said that the former WWE Champion was "seriously considering" running for president in 2020. While that did not happen, a 2021 poll suggested that 46% of U.S. adults would back Johnson if he was to make a run for the White House. That same year, Johnson said he would run if the people seriously wanted him.

Years prior to talk of The Rock entering politics, the Great One would play the more aggressive side of President Barack Obama during an episode of SNL.

Appearing as the inaugural guest on Trevor Noah's 'What Now?' podcast, Johnson revealed that he was contacted last year about a potential campaign.

"At the end of the year in 2022, I got a visit from the parties asking me if I was going to run, and if I could run... It was one after the other, and they brought up that poll, and they also brought up their own deep-dive research."

Johnson didn't name which parties reached out but said it was a surreal moment given that politics has never been his goal.
Johnson's Focus

These conversations led to Johnson double-downing on his commitments to raise his family. In the interview, Johnson made clear that he didn't wish to relive having a career that kept him away from those he holds dear.

"I know what it's like to be in an occupation that took me away. As a pro wrestler full-time, I was wrestling 230 dates a year for years... I know what it's like to have that separation and not be there for the birthdays, for the pickups, the drop-offs, and everything else. And I don't want that for my little ones now."

These comments echo an interview from last year in which The Rock said that being President was "off the table" for the time being. While Johnson is a family man first and foremost, he reiterated his belief that a campaign could happen.

"If that's ultimately what the people would want, then of course I would consider it."

Several names in wrestling have made their names in the world of politics. Jesse 'The Body' Ventura was elected Governor of Minnesota in the 1990s and even refereed at SummerSlam 1999 while in office. The late Antonio Inoki was elected to the Japanese House of Councilors and saw success in convincing Saddam Hussein to free Japanese hostages prior to the Gulf War. These days, Glenn Jacobs, aka Kane, serves as the mayor of Knox County, TN.