PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Michaels Calls AJ Styles His Dream Match But Believes Window of Opportunity Has Closed

Kemo
04-15-2024, 01:53 AM
https://i.imgur.com/4GzZCk7.png

Shawn Michaels would have loved for the chance to step in the ring with AJ Styles but believes the time for such a dream showdown has come and gone.

Styles didn't officially join WWE until 2016, at which point Mr. WrestleMania had been retired for close to six years. Speaking recently to Gorilla Position, Michaels was asked about his dream match and set his sights on the Phenomenal One.

"I think the one I really want to see is me and AJ. That's where I go with. It's also, as you know, more talent comes along and you start looking at them. I always, I still do it now. I look at them like 'Oh boy. I could do cool stuff with him.' But I think AJ, I think AJ and I [have] got similar styles and stuff like that so I always feel that would be what people would want to see. So that would be my go to [answer.]"

When asked if there's a chance of the match happening or if it'll remain in WWE 2K24, Michaels admitted that there's slim chance of either possibility.

"Well [for] one, I couldn't even play it in the game now. That's how slow I am. But I think that time has passed. It's time for generations to move on."

This match never happened, though not for lack of trying by the Phenomenal One. During a 2019 interview with WWE, Styles revealed that he requested a match with Shawn but Michaels said he couldn't do anything about it at the time.

Ultimately, the match can't happen these days, and even if it could, Michaels would not be able to go at the level he did 20+ years ago. Nevertheless, the two men have forged incredible careers in their own rights.