PDA

View Full Version : St. Patricks Day

digitalv
03-17-2006, 04:17 PM
well, I walk into my first class this morning thinking nothing about St. Patricks Day here in the U.S. I'm not Irish nor do I have any Irish family members so celebrating St. Patricks Day we don't do. When my teacher walks in she is totally decked out in green. From head to toe, all green. She sees me in my normal grey sweatshirt and jeans and asks where my green is. I tell her that I'm not Irish so I don't need to dress up in green to celebrate St. Patricks Day. She proceeds to tell me that she isint Irish either but decided to dress up to celebrate the "holiday" by doing the same because it's "what we do here" on campus.

I want to know why EVERYONE has to celebrate so-called holidays when they have no heritage behind it all. It's all well and fine if your Irish and you want to wear green for St. Patricks Day, I'm fine with that. But once people TELL you to wear something just because its a holiday it gets retarded.

Angelique
03-17-2006, 05:49 PM
teachers are trying to be supportive all ethnic backgrounds. they want students to know it is ok to support and be proud of what heritage you/her/them have without being made fun of or ridiculed. She was trying to be respectful of others... it maybe what she and other faculty do, but it doesnt have to be what everyone does.

Assassin™
03-17-2006, 08:28 PM
I hate this stupid holiday. I purposely wore all black. I've already punched 5 people when they tried to pinch me.

Sunshine Acid
03-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I dont see how you can hate a holiday, just ignore it.

shakie
03-18-2006, 12:00 AM
hell your right. one guy in my class tried "pinching" everyone in my class that was wearing green. And one guy pinched me because i wasnt, like 10 times. Its not Easter, or christmas, and Im not irish. In reality its just a fucking excuse to wear green.

digitalv
03-18-2006, 03:39 AM
teachers are trying to be supportive all ethnic backgrounds. they want students to know it is ok to support and be proud of what heritage you/her/them have without being made fun of or ridiculed. She was trying to be respectful of others... it maybe what she and other faculty do, but it doesnt have to be what everyone does.

it was really the idea that she singled me out since I was the closest one she could see I guess. We also had something at lunch if you were wearing green you got entered to win like $50 cash for book store. They try pushing the subject of celebrating holidays that really dont mean much to people and it gets annoying.

Neo Corey
03-18-2006, 05:54 AM
LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO its march break down here :)

the madscotsman
03-18-2006, 12:41 PM
I hate this stupid holiday. I purposely wore all black. I've already punched 5 people when they tried to pinch me.

I totaly agree with you. I'm scottish (hence the name) and find celebrating a day dedacated to a country full of terrorists and bigots kind of stupid.

Dark Drakan
03-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Not fan of St Patricks Day as im not irish either but its a good excuse to drink like the irish :)

Neo Corey
03-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Kiss Me Im Irish

Deadman_2004
03-26-2006, 02:16 AM
I agree with your take on the whole "not irish, don't need to celebrate" thing.

But where else will you get green beer?

bralller
03-27-2006, 02:35 AM
he got a point there about the green beer.