PDA

View Full Version : StarWars.com Jericho Interview: Chris Jericho Rumbles with Vader

Dangerous Incorporated
12-19-2006, 05:14 AM
StarWars.com Jericho Interview: Chris Jericho Rumbles with Vader
http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/7743/1smqf8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Professional wrestler Chris Jericho knows how to take down any opponent with his famous signature moves like the Walls of Jericho (elevated Boston crab), double underhook backbreaker and the Lionsault (springboard moonsault). But if he ever runs into the Dark Lord of the Sith in the ring, he has a custom move ready to go.

"The Force in wrestling is most like the power of Vince McMahon wanting you to win," Jericho says. "So if I was up against Vader who's using the Force, I would try to kick him between the shin pad and his knee pad which would make him bend over and then maybe I could take off his mask. When I was in Mexico wrestling where all the Lucha Libre guys wear masks, if their masks are taken off, they are forced to cover their faces, and then you get the win. So if I could only unmask Vader, he'd run away in shame to hide his identity. Or he may just stop breathing. I would name it the Jericho Jerk, Jolt and Jive. The Quadruple!"

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2574/2smbt4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
As a professional wrestler with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW), as well as the first WWE Undisputed Champion, Jericho would be the expert on which Star Wars character would be worthy opponents. "Chewbacca would have made an excellent pro-wrestler," Jericho smiles. "He'd be the Andre the Giant of the wrestling world because of his strength. And the best wrestling manager would be that weasely guy in the cantina who tells Luke Skywalker, 'He doesn't like you; I don't like you either.'"

Long before Jericho became a wrestling icon, he was daydreaming about Wookiees and Jedi. "When I was a kid growing up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, I remember seeing some ads for Star Wars," Jericho says. "My mom bought me the Chewbacca and Luke Skywalker action figures. Luke had the lightsaber stuck in his arm and he moved it up and down with a little tag. After I got the toys, of course I wanted to see the movie. And all my friends were going to see it as part of a friend's birthday party who was mad at me and decided not to invite me. I was so sad that all my friends were going to see Star Wars without me at the Kings Theatre in Winnipeg. So my mom felt bad for me and took me anyway on our own."

When he finally saw the movie he was shocked to learn that Sir Alec Guinness wasn't portraying Han Solo. "Before I went to see the film, I had two Star Wars treasuries, which are basically giant comic books that I read all the time," Jericho recalls. "The back of the treasuries featured stills from the film with the actors names printed, so oddly enough when I read the name of the actors from the films, I thought Alec Guinness was a better name than Harrison Ford. I just figured Alec's character must have been the coolest. So when I was a kid I really wanted Han Solo to be played by Alec Guinness instead which would have changed the whole dichotomy of the Star Wars story."

"A New Hope made me an instant fan because it was the first time I had ever seen anything like that," Jericho adds. "In addition to the special effects, the story and the characters were really amazing as well. For a seven-year-old kid that was mind-blowing. Honestly, I became a fan long before I had even seen the film just from having the toys. From that alone I was wondering what Chewbacca was -- a giant werewolf or what exactly is he? Before I even saw the films I was a fan from the marketing of it."

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8831/3smkv6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Soon his action figure collection began to grow and he realized he needed more stormtroopers if he planned on having any kind of serious battles. "A lot of kids used the same stormtrooper figure again and again, but I didn't like that concept," Jericho says. "So one year for Christmas I asked for eight stormtroopers because I figured that would be enough for a squadron so I could have battles. My cousin would come over and be so jealous of me because he could only afford one stormtrooper and meanwhile his rich cousin had eight. But I had cashed in my whole Christmas list for those stormtroopers! I wasn't richer, just smarter."

He also began to collect the unusual action figures from The Empire Strikes Back before he ever saw it. However, just as he had mistaken Guinness for Han Solo, he began hoping that Bossk was more than just a bit player. "The figures came out before the movies, so I had all The Empire Strikes Back guys and I tried to figure out what their characters did in something I hadn't seen yet," Jericho says. "When I got the Bossk figure I thought he was the coolest bounty hunter but then when the movie came out he was only in it for like a second! And I was so disappointed. When I got his toy I thought he was going to be this huge character, one of the major Rebel fighters saving the galaxy alongside Han Solo. And then in the film, he's standing in the background in a cameo appearance. But that at least inspired me more to come up with other storylines. For entire days I would play with just the Bossk action figure."

Luckily for Jericho, his Canadian backyard was the perfect Hoth landscape for playing with his action figures. "Growing up in Winnipeg, we basically were raised in Hoth!" Jericho laughs. "We could go outside and play Star Wars in the Hoth environment most of the time. I had all the action figures -- both official and bootlegs -- when I was a kid. I had a pool at my house too. And I would play with all my toys giving them underwater adventures. I had a Godzilla toy that would attack all the stormtroopers, but Han and Luke would always escape."

If Jericho's friends wanted to play something other than Star Wars at his house, they were out of luck. "There was no other franchise for me," Jericho says. "Transformers and G.I. Joe were peons compared to Star Wars. When my cousins would visit with their other toys and they wanted to play Smurfs or Barbie instead of Star Wars, I would make them regret it. I would set it up where all the Barbie dolls would be destroyed by my serial killer character and then say, 'Now that your characters are finished, can we play Star Wars?'"

Source: StarWars.com

Made Y2J look like an idiot IMO