PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Hardy Interview

Dangerous Incorporated
12-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Jeff Hardy Interview

Jeff Hardy spoke to Up & Coming Weekly staff writer, Andrea Pantelic, last week. The following are Hardy's thoughts on various topics.

On his return to the Crown Coliseum and Fayetteville after being absent from WWE for three years:

"It's always great because we were, Matt, my brother and I, were kids and our dad would take us to Fayetteville and that was the closest access to professional wrestling. We always wanted to go back to our closest venue to our home and actually be the performer instead of the spectator. It's always a great response when we go back there and I'm looking forward to it, to Fayetteville. This is the first time I've been back to Fayetteville since I came back to WWE so it should be pretty sweet."

On growing up in Cameron and in this area:

"We grew up farming tobacco until my dad went full time in the Postal Service. We were pretty much working our asses off, like farming tobacco, and we really got a good idea what it was like to take part in hard labor at a very young age. I think that made us really strong in our lives to grow up doing something that not many kids are ever around, and like living out in the country is such a blessing. To this day, I love it. I couldn't imagine living in some city or any other state or whatever. I remember there was a time before Matt and I made it and I said, 'Oh yeah, when I make it, I want to move out to L.A. or Hollywood or somewhere big.' But now that I've got out been out all around the world and saw these different choices, it really is 'There's no place like home.' And Cameron is my home and that's forever."

On photos of him taken in 2002 in the latest issue of WWE Magazine - Winter Special Issue:

"At that time we had a South African raccoon and a prairie dog, which they both passed on now, but they were very cool. I've always been a huge animal lover. It''s hard to have animals and be able to maintain their well-being. I mean, being on the road so much and so they were great animals. I know what one you're talking about. Actually, this week I am doing a brand new interview with WWE Magazine for the February issue or maybe March. I should be on the cover of February so it should be pretty cool."

On working on a farm and how it prepared him to work hard as a professional wrestler and to constantly be on the road:

"Like, when you are on the road and you are wrestling all the time, you kind of have to callous up to being tough. Just like when you are learning to play the guitar, you have to callous up your fingers to the play strut, you know what i mean? And you got to callous your body to wrestle night after night. I think farming tobacco calloused us to be tough and tougher than the average person. Our dad - there was only one way to make him believe we could make it and that was to make it. There were so many times we would drive hours and hours for nothing, just to go wrestle somewhere that we thought would be beneficial for our careers and we wouldn't get paid anything. We'd come back with separated shoulders and blown out knees and you know, that's when our dad would be like, 'You guys need to forget about this wrestling and think about something that's going to provide you a good salary, take the civil service test, something like that.' And then, when it finally happened, it meant the world to our dad. Now that we're in the position we are, it's kind of like a job to him and it's totally cool."
On his band, Peroxwhy?gen:

"It's perox-why-gen. It's like peroxygen but the "y" is the word why. It's the letter "y "if that makes any sense. That's still a dream of mine. We've never actually... I still play my guitar every now and then and we have some really good songs. We've never performed live in front of a crowd and that's something I still aspire to do. We'd love to. Right now, I don't do anything outside with as busy as our schedule is."

Andrea Pantelic: Are you still writing songs on the road?

Jeff Hardy: No, not as much as I used to. I still got a ton of songs I wrote back in the day but every now and then, something pops into my mind like a line and if it's catchy, I'll write it down, but I don't write nearly as much as I used to."

On his poetry and philosophies:

"Ever since my mom's death, I guess is what really ignited the fire within me to think as far as earth in general and what happens after we die. And actually, not to be so close-minded to certain religious beliefs. I'm in such a comfort zone with my own faith and my own existence here. It would be hard to explain to people at this point. Eventually, I'll have to write a book that I can really put in words of my comfort zone of faith and what it means to me as far as being a good person, and God. I feel great about it and I would love to express that in a book in the years to come."

On being called "a modern day Robin Hood" and "an enigma:"

"Oh,I totally dig it. I was in another organization for a couple of years and my title there was The Charismatic Enigma and I loved it. I think it fits me perfect because I feel I am an enigma and I have a mind that's kind of crazy. I take pride in people calling me an enigma."

On his brother's personality:

He's probably a little more... when it comes to a unique perspective... not reaching too high for something that you might not be able to have, like in the ring. And he's pretty good about putting things in order when it comes to financial deals. He's got a good head on his shoulders so we're pretty similar. One of the biggest similarities is we both love Pearl Jam more than anything and that's our favorite band. I think that's one of the strongest bonds between us."

On preparation and rituals before a show:

"I'm the type of guy... I should stretch more before my matches to get warm and everything... but I'm the type of guy who likes to be more chilled out before my matches, instead of "Raawh! Raawh! Oh yeah!" All fired up. I'm just getting to try to calm my heartbeat so I'm not nervous before every match. I think that's a good thing. If the butterflies weren't there, I don't think it would be as meaningful as far as what you work and what you do in life and how good you do it. Yeah, I pretty much try to stay chilled out and more calm as opposed to getting all fired up and loud."

On coming back to WWE after a three-year hiatus:

"Well, that first night was really tough. I was, oh my goodness. I was nervous as far as what the response was going to be, you know, seeing me again and going back out in front of that big crowd, if I was going to be welcomed or booed. It was so overwhelming, the cheers that night. It's got nothing but better since then. It's all uphill. It's tough, the schedule is really tough. It's a lot different than working once every two weeks or whatever I was working in the other organization but it's been worth every minute."

On making his childhood dream a reality:

"I think it is everything I ever dreamed of and more. But it's weird because it's got to the point where it's just a job. Although you're living your dream, it becomes a job. You have to do what you're told just like any other job and do your best at what you're out there to do. And it's weird because after so long - it will never not be a dream - but it is a job its a tough one at that."

On his love of extreme sports, personal philosophies and fears:

"I think that ties in all around and that's what I consider that 'good kind of crazy' that I mentioned earlier. I fell on a motorcycle and there's nothing like when you learn how to jump a dirt bike and like take part in big air and you're in control. And there's nothing better to me as far as the rush of completing a big double jump and being in control. (But) it can go wrong within a second and you can be hurt and that's something that's really hard to manage. Now that I'm wrestling so much I can't ride motorcycles. It's just too risky. The last thing I need to do is go out there and get hurt riding a motorcycle when i'm in such a good spot with the WWE so therefore, I don't even ride. I ride my street bike around but I don't do any of the motocross stuff now that I'm wrestling. And my overall personality is extreme, but yeah, I think that 'good kind of crazy sums it up.' It's great."

On what he has left to accomplish in the ring:

"Well, I've had every title except the World Heavyweight Title and I was within inches of that - but that's something I'd love to gain one of these days - to complete my collection of having all of the titles. That would be nice. And I also think you don't need a championship to be considered a champion. Before I'm done wrestling, I would love to be the World Heavyweight Champion and other than that, pretty much be a good influence on anyone who takes time to watch me."

On what he has left to accomplish outside the ring and after his WWE career:

Art's always been in me. I love painting and whatnot. I don't think ... Oh yeah, movies, acting. I love to act. I feel I'm pretty talented when it comes to that. There's a lot inside me that people have no idea (about) when it comes to comedy. I'd really be mindful for some other people to see the other personalities I can become and act as. Most of the time, I'm seen as a shy, bashful person and the Hardy Boy that hardly talks. There's a lot that can't be heard that probably will be heard, so yeah, acting. Yeah, I'd be straight up comedy.

On his recent trip to Iraq to meet troops serving overseas:

Last week was my first time in Iraq and it was heartfelt to see the smiles on those guys' faces. I'm sure it means the world to them to see the guys they've seen on TV before but it meant the world to me to go over there and make them smile because we're only there for three (or) four days, but three or four days is nothing compared to years at a time and it's nothing compared to what they're going through.

On who he's "out to get" of his three opponents in the four-way ladder match at the Crown Coliseum on Dec. 29:

"Well, me and (Johnny) Nitro have got a lot of chemistry between us and I'm always out to get him on a 24/7 basis because he talks a lot of jazz and you know, I always like to zip it. And Shelton Benjamin can be a bit arrogant. Carlito's cool. I have a beef with him and he tends to get a little overconfident at times. It's a good mix of superstars. It should be a good match."

Source: