PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Wants $10 Million To Fight Unbeaten Calzaghe

Will
04-17-2007, 12:28 AM
LONDON (TICKER) -- Joe Calzaghe wants Jermain Taylor. Jermain Taylor wants more money. The unbeaten Calzaghe will need to more than double his offer to $10 million if he wants a bout with the WBC middleweight champion, Taylor told BBC Sport.

Last week, Frank Warren, Calzaghe's promoter, boosted his bid from $3 million to $4 million to entice Taylor to step up a division and battle for his fighter's WBO super middleweight crown.

"If Joe and Frank want me that much, make me an offer for $10 million and I will show up and bring him a gift to his front door," Taylor told the TV network.

Calzaghe, 35, is looking for an opponent for the 21st defense of his world title. He is prepared to forgo his preferred July television date for a September showdown against Taylor, 35, who will defend his WBC and WBO titles against Cory Spinks on May 19.

Taylor (26-0-1, 17 KOs) would have no problem fighting in the United Kingdom if the money was right.

"No atmosphere is intimidating, because once you start fighting, your focus is on the man in front of you," Taylor said.

Calzaghe (43-0, 32 KOs) is boxing's longest-reigning current champion, having held his lightly regarded WBO crown for almost 10 years. He last defended the title with a third-round technical knockout of Peter Manfredo Jr. in Cardiff, Wales in which he broke his hand.

Despite the injury, Calzaghe still hoped to fight again July 21. However, Taylor, Bernard Hopkins and WBC and WBA super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler all are unavailable that date.

Last week, Roy Jones Jr. said he would fight Calzaghe. However, previous talks between the former champion and Warren have collapsed over money.

Warren also offered Taylor an American referee for a potential bout.