PDA

View Full Version : Interview With One Half Of The Heart Throbs, Romeo Roselli

OMEN
05-04-2006, 08:43 AM
First off, I'd like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview. Let's start at the beginning…how did you get into the business, we're you a fan growing up or did you stumble into the business some other way? Were there any big influences on you growing up?

I was a big fan growing up, never missed a show on television, and always attended events that were close. As my passion for wrestling grew as I got older, as well as my interest in fitness, I decided I wanted to become a wrestler.

And this was also around the time when Shawn Michaels was doing his boyhood dream gimmick around WrestleMania 12, so that influenced me as well.

I know that before you made it to the big time, that you were in a commercial with Stacy Keibler for YJStinger. How was that experience, what was Stacy like to work with, and what do you think about her mainstream success in Dancing with the Stars?

It was a very good experience. I have been very fortunate to accomplish a lot of things while still being very young. And to be in 3 full page ads, for 3 months straight, in the #1 woman’s magazine of all time - Cosmopolitan, is something that I will always be proud of. Stacy was great to work with, she was a real pro, and obviously is very used to being in front of cameras.

And not to mention, for the photo shoot itself, I had to make it look like I was hitting on her, so that wasn’t something I minded =).

I’m happy for all her mainstream success coming from Dancing with the Stars, although I think if she had Romeo as a dance partner she could have won the whole thing………

Before signing your developmental deal, you worked in the WWE offices at the live events department. If you never made it as a wrestler, would you still be happy doing that job, or did you always think that you'd make it to the big stage as a performer in the company?

My goal was to always be a wrestler. I had just graduated college and was looking for a job, and they always say to find a job and work that you love. Well what better job would there be then to work for the company I grew up watching.

I always knew the job wouldn’t be a long term deal. And my plan was always to get down to the developmental system in Louisville, Kentucky with OVW at some point. So when I thought the time was right, I quit the office job, packed my bags, and moved down to OVW.

I was very comfortable working in the office, and I was in a real good department that supported me and knew what I was trying to accomplish. It was a good way to earn a living, and at the same time, chase my dream. And the best part was it made me constantly around wrestling 24/7 because I would work in the office Mon-Fri, then on the weekends I would have practice and independent shows.

I could have easily stayed in the office, and continued working there, but I would have never been satisfied with myself and always wondered “what if?” I knew in my heart that I could make it, and knowing that, I knew I would always kick myself if I just stayed and settled in as an office employee.

What was your time down in Ohio Valley Wrestling like? There were always internet reports about you and Antonio having a very entertaining gimmick down there, but when you arrived on the main roster, the gimmick had been altered reportedly. What were the differences between your OVW act and your WWE act, and do you think it harmed your chances of success within the company?

I really enjoyed my time down in OVW. It was such a great experience learning from such men as Jim Cornette, Danny Davis, Lance Storm, Bill DeMott, and Al Snow. It is difficult to move down there on your own and work your way up, and I knew that going in, but I kept preserving and did whatever I could to climb the ladder. Practices and shows were fun, yet still very productive.

There really wasn’t much difference between our OVW and WWE acts besides not having our OVW manager Mo Green with us, who some say was a major part of our act, kind of like our Melina to MNM. I think it comes down to the fact that we could have used more time in OVW to tighten up our work as well as the gimmick they envisioned.

There has been a lot of talk about how WWE treats tag teams these days, with only a couple of "real" teams on the entire roster. What do you think of the treatment of the tag division?

Well, if you think about it, there really aren’t many “real, legit” tag teams anymore, especially like there were in the 80’s and even 90’s. Nowadays you may get lucky and find each other through family like the Hardys, or long time relationships like Edge & Christian, but I think generally speaking there is a lack of chemistry.

The teams that are thrown together usually do not work, or if they do, they still don’t even last very long and end up feuding or breaking up. Furthermore, there is more money on the line in the singles division.

Let's get down to the nitty gritty. Your WWE release came about after an appearance on WWE.com's Byte This webcast, a webcast that since your appearance on it has yet to the return. Was it at all related to your release from the company, or just coincidental like WWE claimed.

The WWE has claimed to myself and Antonio that our release had absolutely nothing to do with the Byte This program.

What are your thoughts on the WWE creative team? Do you think they missed the boat on yourself and Antonio?

The creative team works hard and are constantly under tremendous pressure. Like I said before, I think it all comes down to the fact that we could have used more time to tighten up a lot of things, and we were trying to play catch up the whole time.

What are your future plans in the business? Do you have any big matches coming up which you care to talk about. I know you recently worked over in WWC in Puerto Rico? How did that turn out?

I just want to wrestle as much as I can, wherever I can. And not to sound clichéd, but every match is a big match from now on. Every match, no matter how big or small, every time I get the opportunity to work in front of an audience, will be a valuable experience and I’m going to treat the match with importance and attempt to steal the show and have people walk out of the building talking about me.

As far as specific matches, I do have some one on one matches with Antonio coming up, so those will certainly be interesting.

The WWC in Puerto Rico was an awesome experience. Carlos Colon has a great bunch of guys working for him as talent as well as in the offices. I am hoping to return there sometime in the near future.

Yourself and Antonio have been teaming up for the better part of your careers now, will you continue working as a unit, or are you looking to spread your wings and pursue a singles run?

We are trying to get as much work as we possibly can right now. If there is a demand for us as a team, then we will oblige. But I think we both would like to start branching out more and working some more as singles. And I think we owe it to ourselves to see what we can do as a singles. However, you will most certainly still see us tagging up in some shape or form for at least a while longer.

Word Association:

- Antonio Thomas: Been through a lot together

- Kevin Landry: Excellent instructor

- Vince McMahon: Powerful

- WWE: Largest wrestling organization in the world

- TNA: Growing

- Triple H: As good as he says he is

- Stephanie McMahon: Heiress to the throne

- John Cena: Entertaining

- Edge: Underrated

Again, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to take part in this interview. Anything else you'd like to say before we close this up? Where can the fans expect to see you next? Is Japan an option?

I am still very young at 24 years old and feel I still have a lot to offer to this business and still have a lot of things I want to accomplish. I don’t look at the release negatively, if anything it has just motivated even more.

I have been fortunate to be getting a lot of work which includes but not limited to: WFP in Virginia, CCW and NEW in Connecticut, UWA, ECB, and NWW in Tennessee, USA Pro in New York, NEPW in Ohio, and like I mentioned before WWC in Puerto Rico. Japan is an option; anything and everything is an option, I am not limiting myself to anything.

I can guarantee everyone this, whether you like it or not, you definitely have not seen the last of me, not by a long shot.

Interview By: Carl Walsh of Powerwrestling