For decades, Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler provided his iconic voice to WWE programming and is a part of some of the company’s most iconic moments. It’s been over four years since Lawler was part of a WWE commentary team, and The King is in no hurry to don a headset again.

In recent years, Lawler has battled several health issues, including suffering a stroke in 2023. Speaking this week to Sportskeeda, The King acknowledged that these health issues ended his career as a commentator.

“I had a couple of strokes. That’s what cost me my deal with WWE and my commentating because my voice is not perfect, but it’s not good enough to do commentating.”

While Lawler’s voice isn’t capable of calling hours of WWE content anymore, the King isn’t too upset over it. In the interview, Lawler recalled a recent commentary experience that left him ready for a break.

“Do I miss it? No... 10 or 15 minutes before it [his recent commentary experience] was over, I was thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, how much longer is this going to last?’ So anyway, as soon as it was over, I just got up, went about my business.”

While Lawler’s long-time broadcast partner Jim Ross still calls the action in AEW, Jerry is fine with leaving his days behind the desk in the past. While fans can still see Lawler at conventions, events, and occasionally with WWE, expect to see The King in his signature crown, not a headset.