William Regal has long been a pivotal figure in professional wrestling, particularly in WWE’s NXT brand, where he played an instrumental role in its growth and success. With the final NXT episode on USA Network airing this week, Regal took to social media to reflect on his journey with the brand and address rumors surrounding his stint in All Elite Wrestling (AEW).

In response to a video posted by WWE commemorating this era, Regal shared a heartfelt message on Twitter, thanking key figures like Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and Matt Bloom for their efforts in shaping NXT’s evolution. Regal’s post read:

“I was part (except for H’s family) of the very beginning of @WWE’s @NXT. I’m still involved but not as much as I was. Thank you to H, Shawn, Matt and everyone else that fought the fight of making a one-hour program on The WWE Network to traveling the world and making new stars and memories for the fans. It continues today. Doesn’t matter what the color scheme is or was, or has been—we changed the wrestling world, although few will want to admit it. It’s been the best part of a 41-year career being @WWENXT to the core.”

While Regal expressed pride in his NXT tenure, a fan brought up his time with AEW, where he briefly worked in 2022. The fan thanked Regal for his contributions to NXT but also referenced his “snaking out the competition”—an implication that he had nefarious motives while working for a rival promotion.

Regal was quick to push back, clarifying the reasons behind his AEW tenure and debunking any rumors about leaving under questionable circumstances. He responded with a firm message to set the record straight:

“FYI, although it serves some people’s agenda and despite a massive amount of people in AEW who can back me up, I went to AEW to help because Bryan Danielson asked me to. Please find me one person who can say otherwise. I arrived at 10 a.m. and stayed until 6:15 p.m. to train anyone who wanted to come. Apart from going to the restroom and refilling my water container, I never attended a single production meeting. I needed people to realize I was only there to help, not to interfere.”

Regal further clarified his lack of involvement in AEW’s internal workings, noting:

“I didn’t ask a single question about anyone’s contract status. I helped at the ring with whatever the talent needed. I showered, got into a suit by 6:30, and watched the monitor with everyone else. Feel free to ask anyone backstage if I did anything but help with no agenda.”

Additionally, Regal addressed a rumor about a personal phone call with AEW President Tony Khan during a difficult family period. Regal explained:

“I didn’t call Tony when his mom was ill—he called me. As soon as he told me where he was, I ended the phone call, and we spoke two weeks later. My deal was up in December 2022, and that’s when I left. These are all facts I can prove. Anyone trying to twist this can feel free to check.”

His time in AEW, though brief, gave us the Blackpool Combat Club and some other memorable moments. As NXT enters a new chapter on The CW, Regal’s legacy remains deeply intertwined with the brand’s success. His son Charlie Dempsey is the reigning NXT Heritage Cup Champion and the leader of the No Quarter Catch Crew faction.