When AEW launched in 2019, Tony Khan gave WWE its most significant competition in close to two decades as fans flocked to an alternative to ‘Sports Entertainment.’ Both companies have seen major changes in the nearly six years since Khan and others announced AEW, but the 41-year-old’s competitive spirit remains stronger than ever.

Appearing on WFAN Daily, Khan was asked about AEW’s standing in wrestling, and how long it’ll be until they “dethrone” WWE. Khan admitted that his battle with WWE is a constant fight, one that neither side can take a break from.

“I want to be ahead, but it’s a constant fight—it’s 52 weeks a year. You’d appreciate that in this industry; it’s a 52-week-a-year business. Wrestling is the only sport with no offseason.”

When asked if competing with WWE had become an obsession, Khan answered diplomatically, noting that such an obsession isn’t confined to just pro wrestling.

“Fighting is an obsession. I think it’s really a driving obsession, competition, especially in wrestling and sports. I think it’s similar to sports—you have to focus on doing your best.”

AEW hasn’t backed down from going head-to-head with WWE, as seen in the ‘Wednesday Night Wars’ that saw Dynamite consistently garner more viewers than NXT. In October 2023 though, the tables turned as WWE NXT comfortably beat Dynamite when AEW’s flagship show aired on a Tuesday. Both shows featured stacked cards, proving that there’s still plenty of competitiveness between the two sides.

Though not an in-ring talent, Khan isn’t afraid to trash-talk, even referring to WWE as the Harvey Weinstein of pro wrestling. In October 2023, Khan labeled Triple H and Shawn Michaels “bald a**holes” ahead of NXT’s aforementioned win over Dynamite.

As the competition between the two companies intensifies, the ultimate winners are the fans, who now have two titans of the wrestling world delivering their best week after week. Stay tuned to SEScoops for the latest on AEW and WWE and their never-ending battle to be the best.