Former Reading boss Steve Coppell has been appointed as Bristol City's new manager on a 12-month rolling contract.

The 54-year-old succeeds Gary Johnson, who left Ashton Gate in March.

"Every manager knows that promotion is his brief and I'm no different," said Coppell, who will be assisted by caretaker manager Keith Millen.

"This is a club that wants to go forward and wants to be in the top division. It's my opportunity to take this club there, that's our challenge."

The former Manchester United player added that he will take over at the club at the end of the season due to family commitments.

Coppell continued: "We are already planning to fill gaps in the squad. I have been talking to Keith and watching DVDs of players and we expect a busy summer.

"We have obviously discussed budgets but there has not been a figure put on it. I know that the chairman has always been supportive and if I go to him he will help me bring players in."

He added: "This club has a history in the top division and the chairman has huge ambitions for the team and the stadium.

"I feel very fortunate that he has given me this opportunity. I have not had that many offers to be honest."
Coppell is very keen that City make the most of their final matches in the current campaign. "There's still two games to go and I think it's very important to finish the season off strong because there is a link, I always feel, between the end of one season and the beginning of the next."

Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown added: "Steve arrives with a track record and pedigree that shows the ambition this club has. We are aiming to play at the highest possible level."

Johnson's departure ended a five-year reign at Ashton Gate, during which he won promotion to the Championship.

He also led the club to the 2007 play-off final, but his side lost 1-0 to Hull.

Reading were promoted to the Premier League as champions under Coppell in 2006, collecting a record 106 points and scoring 99 goals along the way.

The Royals then ended their first season in the top flight only one place shy of a Uefa Cup spot, with Coppell earning the League Managers' Association manager of the season award for the second successive year.

Millen has overseen the last seven matches, winning four, drawing two and losing just one, and will remain in charge for the last two games of the season.

City play Derby at home on Saturday and then travel to Blackpool on 2 May.

BBC SPORT